RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex vs Emby, What are you running and Y one over the other?

itGeeks

I am running emby because it runs out of the box as a service, work with server 2012, supports live TV, and most of all still has a reasonable lifetime subscription fee.

• Like 1

I use Plex because honestly, this is the first time I've heard of Emby. :D

I had Kodi (formerly XBMC) in the living room but later on decided to centralize my media collection on a server (WHS2011). The ability to stream to almost any endpoint (iOS, Android, PC, Roku, web browser, etc.) which was quite new at the time, pretty much won me towards Plex.

I was also lucky to have availed of the lifetime Plex Pass subscription before the price increased two-fold, so I'm basically stuck here until a significantly better product comes along.

I have used both and give the edge to Plex. Emby is very good, but Plex has worked better for me overall.

My biggest problem was loss of connectivity with Plex and it was solved when I ran Plex as a Windows Service.

You do get a bit more with the free account on Emby, but like oj88 I bought the Plex Lifetime Subscription

before the price increased. 

With Emby I found the user and server management to be slightly more difficult, but you'll have to try each

to find your preference. I actually did this with the same media collection simultaneously without a problem. 

I have used both and give the edge to Plex. Emby is very good, but Plex has worked better for me overall.

My biggest problem was loss of connectivity with Plex and it was solved when I ran Plex as a Windows Service.

You do get a bit more with the free account on Emby, but like oj88 I bought the Plex Lifetime Subscription

before the price increased. 

With Emby I found the user and server management to be slightly more difficult, but you'll have to try each

to find your preference. I actually did this with the same media collection simultaneously without a problem. 

Even running as a service, I have that issue with Plex. But it's also very long load times for content views, intermeittently.  It made it unusable as a HTPC service, for me. 

However, plex does a much better job of on the fly transcoding of media. Emby struggles with it, and essentially requires a large number of cores to handle more than a couple of users at the same time. :(

Emby has added GPU transcoding, and that really does help, though.  But it's not as intelligent about bandwidth usage as Plex seems to be.

Metadata editing is far, far simpler in Emby than plex.

As for user management, I found that Emby is better. I can create users on the server, without having to use "their" service. With Plex, you have to use the plex accounts if you want people to access from outside of your network.  Emby allows you to set up local user accounts. 

That, and Emby does better about playing the files directly on the HTPC app. Plex wants to stream it, even when using Plex Home Theater. Emby won't, usually (some files it wants to transcode, but most will play provided you have the right codecs, which really isn't an issue in Windows 10).

I agree that both are excellent options. Given you can do so much with the Free version of either one give them a try and report back.

Even running as a service, I have that issue with Plex. But it's also very long load times for content views, intermeittently.  It made it unusable as a HTPC service, for me. 

However, plex does a much better job of on the fly transcoding of media. Emby struggles with it, and essentially requires a large number of cores to handle more than a couple of users at the same time. :(

Emby has added GPU transcoding, and that really does help, though.  But it's not as intelligent about bandwidth usage as Plex seems to be.

Metadata editing is far, far simpler in Emby than plex.

As for user management, I found that Emby is better. I can create users on the server, without having to use "their" service. With Plex, you have to use the plex accounts if you want people to access from outside of your network.  Emby allows you to set up local user accounts. 

That, and Emby does better about playing the files directly on the HTPC app. Plex wants to stream it, even when using Plex Home Theater. Emby won't, usually (some files it wants to transcode, but most will play provided you have the right codecs, which really isn't an issue in Windows 10).

The last time I tryed MB now Emby the whole codec thing was a real mess as far as I was concerned so that's the first thing I was turned off by, 2nd was the resources that it used. I agree with you that setting up users in Plex is a bit of a pain and could be made easier for us. I may give Emby another try one of these days but for now I think I stay with Plex, Like others I paid the lifetime before the twofold in price :) For those that don't know Plex is replacing there "Plex Home Theater" with "Plex Media Player" Its still in beta but available to download via the Plex Pass downloads

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/10/20/introducing-the-plex-media-player/

Edited by itGeeks