RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L-AHCI to Gen8-B120i Question

E3000

Hey guys,

I want to take 4 data HDDs from an N54L where the drives were all separate not in any array in AHCI mode, and I want to put them into a Gen8 Microserver. The Gen8 has an SSD in place of the ODD as a single RAID 0 which is running Windows Server 2012 R2 on B120i. I have weighed up the pros and cons of B120i vs AHCI mode and it seems B120i is the one to use...

What I would like to know is would I have to format my 4 data storage drives before I can use them in B120i mode? Would they need to be setup as 4 single-drive RAID 0?

I have tried taking a singular RAID 0 drive and connecting it to my desktop PC and there were no issues at all. Windows could see it and use it as normal. I'm sure recovery apps would work fine with it too. So would that also be the same case the other way round? (adding an existing data drive to the Gen8 without having to format it)

It would save me a lot of bother copying to another drive...

TIA

E3000

I have moved AHCI drives to a B102i without formatting. If I remember correctly, I attached the drive went into the ACU during boot and added the drive as a RAID0.

I make no guarantees, that this will work. Please be sure to have a backup. It would be a good idea to do a test run with a drive and sample data. 

try to do this:

if you have a spare HDD, attach it in the drive to bay1, go to ACU during boot and add the drive as a RAID0. Do this with all bays and after that, when you will connect another HDD will be added automatically to RAID0 and you don't need to format it.

This is tested by me and works. I used a 300GB HDD and then I attached 3TB HDD's.

try to do this:

if you have a spare HDD, attach it in the drive to bay1, go to ACU during boot and add the drive as a RAID0. Do this with all bays and after that, when you will connect another HDD will be added automatically to RAID0 and you don't need to format it.

This is tested by me and works. I used a 300GB HDD and then I attached 3TB HDD's.

Nice one! I would have loved to try that but my spare HDD is dead as a dodo (incidentally, the only Seagate I own) :(

try to do this:

I'm trying this at the moment, but as soon as you move the drive from bay 1 to bay 2 then it is detected as a moved drive. Is that correct?

I'm trying this at the moment, but as soon as you move the drive from bay 1 to bay 2 then it is detected as a moved drive. Is that correct?

Did u try moving the drive with data on? Did it still have the data on after u moved and assigned it again?

Yes. Assign the drive as RAID0 on all ports and after that you should be fine.

But you can't, because when you move the drive, it is flagged as a moved drive and is not unassigned.

I've not even touched the NTFS drives with the data on yet, until I am on 100ft of concrete over what I am doing!

But you can't, because when you move the drive, it is flagged as a moved drive and is not unassigned.

I've not even touched the NTFS drives with the data on yet, until I am on 100ft of concrete over what I am doing!

Haha you are in the same situation as me. Its too much to lose. Even with the backups its a lot of work as its not imaged backups as yet...