RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
bsieve

USB camera over power line ethernet

bsieve

I am looking to put a web camera in the new nursery so the grandparents can see the baby and basically not call me all the time. But the room is clear across the house and I of course don't want to spend a lot of money or time. So does this have a chance of working, kind of seems like a pipe dream to me but would save me significant money.

My plan is to use a cat5 usb adaptor such as ( http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2 ) to take the usb signal to cat5 and then use a powerline adaptor to pass the cat5 signal to the computer room and then convert back to usb and plug into the pc. I don't have anything else on the powerline adaptor and it is just sitting here so it will only be the cost of the usb adaptor.

Anyone have a solid reason this will not work? My guess is I will have to try it but at $10 that is worth it unless I am simply missing something obvious.

Thanks guys

brad

bsieve

not sure how to do power though I just thought of

cskenney

The device from Monoprice is not using anything from the ethernet standard other than the cable itself. By introducing the powerline adapters you have completely eliminated the possible use of the Monoprice adapter.

Personally I would set some boundaries on the "how is the baby doing" updates, but that is just me.

pcdoc

My experience with powerline adpaters has not bee great. I have not been able to get a decent signal for long distanaces. It is also dependant on you house wiring as well as as to whether or not they are on the same circuit. I would but it from a place you can return it and just give it a try. My quess if the distances are more than 50 feet is that your probability of success is about 25-30%. Good luck and let us know.

europaxs

Agreed, the powerline adapters that I purchased work fine for about 2 days then die.. also noticed the speeds get slower and slower during that time.

After a reset (unplug/replug both of them) it works great and gives full speed for a few hours then starts to drop in speed.

Now, if I connect them both to the same power outlet, they work great but not very useful!

One way we looked at a remote camera was a Powered Wireless USB Hub. We connected a cheep USB camera into the wireless USB hub.

Then connected the dongle from the wireless USB hub to the computer.

Run a program such as Blue Iris for recording and alerts.

europaxs

cskenney

Powered Wireless USB Hub sounds interesting but the ones I found started at around $70 and had a limit of about 30 ft.

On the other hand, you could buy a relatively inexpensive IP camera (wireless) that you could use with your wireless network. You would have the longer range.

mrossco

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but has anyone tried D-Link? They have a WHS add-in that could prove useful...

http://hq.dlink.com/whs

SabatonFan80

bsieve, have you thought about getting a nettop or thin-client computer and putting that in the baby's room? You could easily plug the camera into that and then connect the computer to your network with the powerline adapters.

Powerline/Homeplug *can* be flakey, but with the amount of bandwidth you'd get from a webcam you should be fine.

europaxs

Powered Wireless USB Hub sounds interesting but the ones I found started at around $70 and had a limit of about 30 ft.

On the other hand, you could buy a relatively inexpensive IP camera (wireless) that you could use with your wireless network. You would have the longer range.

It came down to cost and picture quality.

A 50$ USB camera with 9 megapixel "HD" has a great resolution and shows faces clearly.

A 100$+ WIFI camera is 1-2 megapixel 640x480 with not-so-great resolution. I prefer to see who is breaking in, not just a blob of color..

The Powered USB hub to USB Camera could support a wire distance of 15 feet (non powered cable) or 50 feet with an "active powered cable".

30 feet sounds about right for a powered wireless USB hub.

cskenney

It came down to cost and picture quality.

A 50$ USB camera with 9 megapixel "HD" has a great resolution and shows faces clearly.

A 100$+ WIFI camera is 1-2 megapixel 640x480 with not-so-great resolution. I prefer to see who is breaking in, not just a blob of color..

The Powered USB hub to USB Camera could support a wire distance of 15 feet (non powered cable) or 50 feet with an "active powered cable".

30 feet sounds about right for a powered wireless USB hub.

Sure, I was simply throwing out options because the original post was about the the baby's room being "across the house".