RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

OneDrive recent developments & announcements

schoondoggy

"you can tell a salesman is lying when you catch his lips moving" lol, Now that's one for the books :D

As for Office 365 yes seems like a good deal, I tried it once but I was disappointed when I could not access documents stored locally on my computer or network. Seems all documents needed to be on OneDrive and I was not willing to put all my documents on OneDrive, Has that changed?

The installed version of O365 runs locally, it is Office 2013, now upgrading to Office 2016. You can access any files that the computer has access to. Plus with O365 Home you can support 5 users(5 computers and 5 tablets and 5 phones) and you get 1TB of OneDrive per user.

https://products.office.com/en-us/office-365-home

Poppapete

"you can tell a salesman is lying when you catch his lips moving" lol, Now that's one for the books :D

As for Office 365 yes seems like a good deal, I tried it once but I was disappointed when I could not access documents stored locally on my computer or network. Seems all documents needed to be on OneDrive and I was not willing to put all my documents on OneDrive, Has that changed?

Been using O365 for 2 years and have always been able to access all my documents where ever they may be located.

itGeeks

The installed version of O365 runs locally, it is Office 2013, now upgrading to Office 2016. You can access any files that the computer has access to. Plus with O365 Home you can support 5 users(5 computers and 5 tablets and 5 phones) and you get 1TB of OneDrive per user.

https://products.office.com/en-us/office-365-home

I am sorry I was confused, It was not O365 that I tried but rather the word application on Outlook.com. Using the Word app on Outlook.com did not allow me to access any word documents on my local system. Thanks for the info.

JackoUK

I still have M$ down as the bad guys, have not accepted their apology and will not be sticking with them.

1. OK, so they threw long-term users a bone and let them have a measly 10GB of space back. Wow!

The storage play has effectively been withdrawn for consumers.

The price for 50GB is SIXTY times the cost of a raw storage drive.

2. Without storage the Office 365 subscription has no value for me. I have 3 copies of Office 2007, 2 of Office 2010 and 1 of Office 2013 desktop.

I only paid 2x£90 for these licenses.

I don't see anything in Office 2016 to get excited about.

The Onedrive debacle completely destroys M$'$ credibility as a long-term consumer cloud player:

- the company will withdraw services without notice

- the price of services is vastly in excess of cost and thus extremely poor value

I cannot see where M$ is going. They have no play in smartphones; withdrawn from the storage market; given away Windows 10 ... and Office 2016 has no value for existing customers, whilst new customers are likely to be happy with free web variants. The law of diminishing returns and Moore's law has essentially frozen them out - that's why the big push for subscriptions. No subs. here.

As to Onedrive and placeholders, Chris Camposella on Windows Weekly indicated that a form of placeholders might be coming back and that M$ realised that it must be a proper system driver. (The guys at StableBit must laugh their socks off at M$'$ antics.) Christmas is still coming soon of course ;-)

nrf

definitely one of 2015's most notable "bonehead move"s