RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

OneDrive recent developments & announcements

jmwills

Corporate exploitation? How can that be when Microsoft was footing 100% of the cost?

• Like 1

JackoUK

1. Microsoft might not be charging for that 15GB on OneDrive directly ... or for the web version of Outlook  directly ... but they are charging for Windows and Office 365 and ... a whole raft of other products.

I have e.g. 7 Windows Pro licenses at (say) £150 a pop. I think I've paid for OneDrive and my Outlook account!

2. Microsoft notified the initial grant of 15GB after their telemetry showed it suitable for the majority of consumers. The reduction to 5GB will clearly be insufficient for say half. (75TB/14,000 = 5.4GB).

We could say exactly what proportion if MS released the distribution of OneDrive consumption.

The appearance of 'customers over the 5GB limit can claim a free 1 year subscription to Office 365' in the OneDrive FAQ is about as subtle as an air-raid: its another in a long line of (increasingly aggressive) pushes towards a subscription revenue model.

3. OTOH suppose 95% of customers are under the 5GB limit ... then why would you want to upset the top 5% - probably keen users of your products - for such a small cost to the business?

I'd accept the reasoning of pure incompetence. I can see that an expectation of 1TB realised to 75TB increasing is hard to swallow ... but when you yourself came up with a ceiling of 15GB? 

4. Storage costs have been coming down for many years now.

I've said in several forums over the last year ... I think MS has given too much away: Windows 10; the web versions of OneDrive and Outlook and the super-generous unlimited OneDrive ... I think they are beginning to see that typical consumers are just taking the free stuff (which is actually all they need) and the finance people have found that the uptake to the integrated paying product portfolio is not happening. 

That's why I want an SLA for this 'Windows as a Service' malarkey.

What's in it?

How long is to be available?

What redress do I have if MS decide to pull out?

This buy Vista Ultimate and we'll develop some addons ...and go for W10 it'll be a lovely bundle ...

... doesn't seem to be working out very well for anyone.

Edited by JackoUK

awraynor

Wow, if only they had any business intelligence products to predict this. Many of us are paying and would pay

reasonable amounts more for extra storage. 

ShadowPeo

I'm thinking of testing bittorrent sync as my OneDrive replacement.

More administration ... but no limit on file size.

I did this about 2 years ago with an alpha version of BTSync IIRC, and I have not looked back since. I was paying for the largest plan at the time as well.

As you stated, the administration toll of BTSync is greater, and it is a little more complicated to do encrypted shares after the change to version 2 but it can still be done (although they use the old version 1 key schema, not the new version 2 certificate schema). I have been using it for personal and professional use and not had an issue with it, or at least one that did not come back to it being my fault.

itGeeks

To me all of this a case of a few ruining it for the rest.  Microsoft found people having over 75TB full of movies and pc backups.  That is just nuts!  So now because of them, MS has to pull way back and yes change their mind on what they offer.  They knew some people where going to be upset, but those few just don't add up to a lot.  This is just like how a few years ago my cell phone used to have unlimited data per month to download.  Now I have this small cap of data every month.  Why?  Because a select few of people that where downloading like mad on their phones.  I do think companies should do a better job of understanding that there will always be those set off people that will push it to the max to take full advantage of things when it is called unlimited.  Don't just offer these deals because you want to steal market share from your competition.  But pretty sure that will never happen.  

As the saying goes, this is why we can't have nice things. 

I know I am late to the game but after reading this long thread I just had to give my 2 cents...

I agree with you but Microsoft has cut the storage limit down to an almost unusable amount basically forcing us to pay right out of the gate. If all they where trying to do was stop people from "Abusing" the service by backing up multiple TB of movies and pc backups then limit the storage down to something usable like 500-1000GB so the "Average User" could still use it for there camera role, Documents, Music. My Daughter does not abuse OneDrive and  here pictures take way more space then Microsoft is shelling out now so needless to say NO MORE CAMERA ROLE for us to OneDrive. This move is going to fail as well and I agree this is an effort to make us pay for something that started out FREE but my humble opinion is its going to fail and people will look elsewhere or just purchase a NAS from the likes of Synology or QNAP and become OneDrive like I do and move on with there day. This whole thing smells like pure financial gain to me, Nothing more nothing less. If the real problem was what is being told to the public "People are using the OneDrive file sharing service as a backup service then they could fix that very easy by placing a file size restriction on the files and keep the 'Unlimited' in affect.

Edited by itGeeks

GotNoTime

Give us back our storage

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage. These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

itGeeks

Good News! Looks like Microsoft may not be the bad guys after all. Read below-

"YOU CAN NOW KEEP YOUR ONEDRIVE 15GB FREE STORAGE AND CAMERA ROLL BONUS IF YOU OPT IN BEFORE JANUARY 31ST" 

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2015/12/12/you-can-now-keep-your-onedrive-15gb-free-storage-and-camera-roll-bonus-if-you-opt-in-before-january-31st/?utm_source=The+Digital+Lifestyle.com+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1bc1e2b774-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_term=0_d83d89c7d4-1bc1e2b774-319385497

Yes I know its not unlimited but this is a heck of a lot better then the 5GB they were going in enforce, At least this is a usable amount for the average user.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

Al_Borges

"unlimited" in the  strict  sense of the word was always a marketing gimmick - or as the saying goes

"you can tell a salesman is lying when you catch his lips moving" 

even if the storage was unlimited, if they throttle bandwidth then its essentially useless.

So you get what you pay for.    I was more upset by the lack of 100Gb sized plans than anything else

I guess they want you to stay on office365, which is still a very good deal. 

• Like 1

itGeeks

"unlimited" in the  strict  sense of the word was always a marketing gimmick - or as the saying goes

"you can tell a salesman is lying when you catch his lips moving" 

even if the storage was unlimited, if they throttle bandwidth then its essentially useless.

So you get what you pay for.    I was more upset by the lack of 100Gb sized plans than anything else

I guess they want you to stay on office365, which is still a very good deal. 

"you can tell a salesman is lying when you catch his lips moving" lol, Now that's one for the books :D

As for Office 365 yes seems like a good deal, I tried it once but I was disappointed when I could not access documents stored locally on my computer or network. Seems all documents needed to be on OneDrive and I was not willing to put all my documents on OneDrive, Has that changed?

Edited by itGeeks