RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

OneDrive recent developments & announcements

schoondoggy

Unless your ISP is Comcast, apparently.

I wouldn't call it abuse. That's like telling people they're abusing an all you can eat buffet because they went back for a second, third or fourth plate. It's not abuse. in fact, it' completely wrong to call it that.

They offered unlimited. People took that LITERALLY. Period. End of Story.

But like a buffet, they relied on that most people would use very little storage, and few would use a lot.

However, Microsoft underestimated how voracious that some of the higher end users would be. 

Spin it how you want, Microsoft screwed up here.

Additionally, Groove Music either requires a subscription fee.  Or REQUIRES you to put your actual files on OneDrive to access your collection.

So .... there is that too.

I am not spinning anything. As I have already stated Microsoft should not have offered unlimited storage. It was a stupid idea.

An all you can eat buffet is something you pay for. OneDrive is not.

Also, I am currently using Groove Music to listen to music stored on my PC's drive. It does not REQUIRE you to put your music on OneDrive.  

nrf

look, folks, this is just another in a long line of such disappointments. if ms isn't serving your needs, just move on until the next one disappoints you...

• Like 2

JackoUK

I don't want to 'move on to the next disappointment' ...

... I want a long-term, professional service level agreement so that everyone - vendors and customers - move forward.

Further. I think consumer cloud computing (and thus MS) needs such an agreement to be viable.

Further still, MS were on the threshold (get it?) with OneDrive as a great consumer-friendly storage system.

Having calculated and published that the vast majority fit within a typical usage of 15GB ... the cost of which could easily be factored into MS's pricing plans for W10 and Office 365 desktop and subscriptions ... to reduce this down to 5GB is an exploitative move, compounded by a lie, designed to push people into an Office 365 subscription.

MS seems not to realise that consumers will pay a lot for convenience (see iPhone and iPad). Whether that 10GB of OneDrive storage cost 40cents or $2 ... add it to the overall pricing plan and make life easy for the average consumer.

The 1TB limit is a whole different story, primarily of gullability - MS in proposing and me in believing!

Again reaching a sensible agreement will stimulate business ... but unilateral impositions will lead to defection. Nobody wins there.

I am not going to suck this change up ... I think all enthusiast sites should should rail against it ... otherwise MS will carry on.

Indeed I think this site ... which majors in home (storage) should be one of the biggest opponents!

As I've said before, changes can be forced e.g. post Vista and W8.

Do not suck it up!

Edited by JackoUK

nrf

is there another vendor who provides said agreement? if so, why not vote with your feet...

jmwills

Let me see.  I have Windows Home Server and/or Essentials.  I have Allway Sync.  What's this One Drive you speak of?  Now, if you had actually paid for One Drive you might have a beef, but the only thing you have was an acceptable usage policy.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Let me see.  I have Windows Home Server and/or Essentials.  I have Allway Sync.  What's this One Drive you speak of?  Now, if you had actually paid for One Drive you might have a beef, but the only thing you have was an acceptable usage policy.

Except that access to files isn't very simple (the remote access website is pretty inefficient). 

Additionally, there is no good way to easily upload files (such as automatically uploading pictures you've taken).

And there is no good way to share files with "random people". 

OwnCloud covered most of that, and was self hosted, so worked out perfectly. But they've recently decided to drop Windows support (go FOSS....). And I haven't found a good replacement for it. (Pydio is .... overly complicated for what I want). 

schoondoggy

Except that access to files isn't very simple (the remote access website is pretty inefficient). 

Additionally, there is no good way to easily upload files (such as automatically uploading pictures you've taken).

And there is no good way to share files with "random people". 

OwnCloud covered most of that, and was self hosted, so worked out perfectly. But they've recently decided to drop Windows support (go FOSS....). And I haven't found a good replacement for it. (Pydio is .... overly complicated for what I want). 

IF and it is a big if, Connected Data offered a software only version that ran in a VM. I think it would take care of all of the issues. Then I would not need any cloud file share at all, as I would be able to do it myself.

http://www.connecteddata.com/ 

Or perhaps a home version of:

https://www.novell.com/products/filr/

Big Worm

To me all of this a case of a few ruining it for the rest.  Microsoft found people having over 75TB full of movies and pc backups.  That is just nuts!  So now because of them, MS has to pull way back and yes change their mind on what they offer.  They knew some people where going to be upset, but those few just don't add up to a lot.  This is just like how a few years ago my cell phone used to have unlimited data per month to download.  Now I have this small cap of data every month.  Why?  Because a select few of people that where downloading like mad on their phones.  I do think companies should do a better job of understanding that there will always be those set off people that will push it to the max to take full advantage of things when it is called unlimited.  Don't just offer these deals because you want to steal market share from your competition.  But pretty sure that will never happen.  

As the saying goes, this is why we can't have nice things. 

• Like 1

jmwills

Of Course you can share files with random people.  There are several cases here where I've shared out a folder to forum members. the only difference is providing your authentication.

As long as I can get to the internet, I can get to any and all of my data, either to download or upload new content.

JackoUK

I'm thinking of testing bittorrent sync as my OneDrive replacement.

More administration ... but no limit on file size.

Heck, I'm thinking of using one of my servers as a sync server for all the people I've recommended OneDrive to!

@Big Worm

The few did not spoil it for the many ... the Microsoft finance police destroyed it for everyone.

The principle we use for murderers is to lock them in prison and leave everyone else free.

If Microsoft were in charge of law enforcement everyone would be in prison because a few committed murder!

@nrf

Why hot vote with my feet?

1. Because it would be vastly more convenient to have OneDrive integrated with Windows.

2. Because I like things to be balanced ... and I am sick and tired of corporate exploitation.

Edited by Joe_Miner
Edits by Moderator