RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

OneDrive recent developments & announcements

JackoUK

"Betrayal of trust and contract."

Trust and legal contracts are not synonymous.

I've already stated my desire for an SLA.

The withdrawal of the 'unlimited' option isn't what makes me mad ... its the reduction from 15GB to 5GB.

Having touted 15GB as a reasonable working limit for typical customers as a selling point for Windows (OneDrive originally appeared as SkyDrive for Windows remember ... long before 'Windows as a Service')... to then reduce it to 5GB is an exploitative move.

JackoUK

Destruction of OneDrive by 'abusers' is nothing but a feeble, ill-prepared lie ... necessary to avoid explaining some unpalatable truths e.g.

1. The combination of revenues from free Windows 10 licenses; Office 365 subscriptions and OneDrive subscriptions etc. is fallng well behind projections. OneDrive is looking like a mounting loss leader.

2. MS cannot solve the technology problems (cost-effectively).

3. Some other strategic move e.g. purchase of a storage company (say Dropbox).

Hands up all those who thought immediately 'just cut off the abusers'.

I did think about OneDrive throttling and posted my expectation that MS had a plan to rationalise the Consumer and Business offerings, release the placeholder fix in Threshold 2 ... and then roll out the improved service.

You could say that my planning was far superior to MS's!

schoondoggy

"Betrayal of trust and contract."

Trust and legal contracts are not synonymous.

I've already stated my desire for an SLA.

The withdrawal of the 'unlimited' option isn't what makes me mad ... its the reduction from 15GB to 5GB.

Having touted 15GB as a reasonable working limit for typical customers as a selling point for Windows (OneDrive originally appeared as SkyDrive for Windows remember ... long before 'Windows as a Service')... to then reduce it to 5GB is an exploitative move.

True.

So you have lost trust in Microsoft.

They gave you a free service and then they changed it.

JackoUK

"Microsoft just meant personal documents, not backups."

Oh please ... no apologists ... what business are MS in?

Which company developed Windows Home Server? (I hated that too.)

I had a quick stab at calculating the cost of 10GB to MS.

I came up with 40c per annum.

You might construct a different estimate.

And I thought I was a cheapskate!

Edited by JackoUK

schoondoggy

Destruction of OneDrive by 'abusers' is nothing but a feeble, ill-prepared lie ... necessary to avoid explaining some unpalatable truths e.g.

1. The combination of revenues from free Windows 10 licenses; Office 365 subscriptions and OneDrive subscriptions etc. is fallng well behind projections. OneDrive is looking like a mounting loss leader.

2. MS cannot solve the technology problems (cost-effectively).

3. Some other strategic move e.g. purchase of a storage company (say Dropbox).

Hands up all those who thought immediately 'just cut off the abusers'.

I did think about OneDrive throttling and posted my expectation that MS had a plan to rationalise the Consumer and Business offerings, release the placeholder fix in Threshold 2 ... and then roll out the improved service.

You could say that my planning was far superior to MS's!

Where are you getting your data from?

The only thing not profitable these days at Microsoft is Windows Phone:

https://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY16/Q1/default.aspx?tduid=(fbd643d00b2358f0420aee4ad181c048)(259740)(2542549)(d_wp)()

The reason for the Wall Street exuberance is many of Microsoft's businesses are doing well, to wit:

• Bing is up 29%
  • Office 365 commercial seats up 66%
  • Consumer licenses up 157%
  • Total commercial bookings up 10%
  • Servers up 9%
  • Azure up 135%

"Microsoft just meant personal documents, not backups."

Oh please ... no apologists ... what business are MS in?

Which company developed Windows Home Server? (I hated that too.)

I had a quick stab at calculating the cost of 10GB to MS.

I came up with 40c per annum.

You might construct a different estimate.

And I thought I was a cheapskate!

Please share your math.

JackoUK

-snip- Edit by Moderator

1. Just as people inevitably betray their character at some point, the OneDrive post, being hastily produced, betrays MS's corporate psychology.

2. At its core the company is still predatorial.

3. The number of cancelled products, especially in the consumer area, means they cannot be trusted long-term (not even for 1 year!!).

4. MS are hopeless at consumer storage (and they got so near to perfect).

5. MS are hopeless at understanding consumers.

6. The Windows Insider programme is free feature ideas and alpha/beta testing for MS. Any Insider desirable feature not in MS's interest will be trampled underfoot.

7. The enforced Windows Update change is a consumer lock in move.

8. The OneDrive renege is but one part of the increasingly aggressive push for subscriptions, the next is the promotion of the W10 upgrade to 'recommended' status.

Did anyone look at the FAQ which said those over 5GB could claim a free 1 year of Office subscription. About as subtle as an air raid.

9. MS are deliberately obfuscatory in their communications. lest transparency reveal their intentions.

10. MS have given too much away already. The average user doesn't need Office 2016 desktop (just the web variants) or much OneDrive space ... and the freemium type approach MS have adopted isn't working (and not likely to work in my estimation) ... so they are having to rein it in.

Edited by Joe_Miner

schoondoggy

"Did you ever stop to think you are part of the problem?"

Yes

1. Given that Microsoft has a range of products it appears (and I think is the case) that they are attempting to produce a bundle of integrated services: windows; OneDrive; Office; Skype etc.

They also have (increasingly) detailed telemetry, so I assumed they had made the necessary calculations to cope with a vast majority of small scale users and a very small minority of large scale users.

Note that I have 7 windows licenses and 6 Office licenses ... it's not that I am freeloading.

2.I was not comfortable with the unlimited claim and stated elsewhere that I had submitted a complaint to the UK Trading Authorities. (They declined to take action.)

3. I have argued in several forums that consumers need a Service Level Agreement for unscrupulous global companies like Microsoft to force a sensible statement on offerings/capability. On no forums like this one have I seen anyone arguing for this standard professional approach to the problem.

Ironically I received a warning from a moderator about my anti-Microsoft attitude and claim that MS's last 3 ventures into storage were all failures!

So its now 4 ... and by Windows 8 they so nearly cracked it.

"What made you think OneDrive was designed to back up all your data."

1. Statements like "One place for everything in your life" and piles of similar marketing BS.

2. Study of MS's Storage technology architectures.

If you are looking for SLA around storage talk to CrashPlan, Carbonite or Mozy.

The average person has one computer, one tablet and one phone. The majority of people in this forum are not average users. OneDrive was designed for an average user.

Drashna Jaelre

Speaking as a forum member, not a moderator:

So I think in this post you detailed you storage needs:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9273-home-server-jbod-for-storage-spaces/?p=100387

Did you ever stop to think that you are part of the problem?

What made you think OneDrive was designed to back up all of your data? It is a throttled file sharing service. It is great for syncing data between PC's and mobile devices.

OneDrive, DropBox, Box, Copy, Google Drive, Symform, Syncplicity are all file sharing services.

CrashPlan, Carbonite, Mozy are data backup services.

My grandfather taught me many years ago, use the right tool for the job.

Betrayal of trust? Did you have some contract with Microsoft guarantying capacity and service on OneDrive? No.

Microsoft made changes, because people used OneDrive in ways that Microsoft had not intended. You have many posts in the forum complaining about the throttled performance of OneDrive. Did you ever stop to think that they did that to try to keep guys like you from dumping TB's into it?

Determine your needs and choose the service to meet your needs.

Good point, It is covered well by Windows Weekly. 

I completely disagree. If you say unlimited, mean unlimited. Anything else is ... well ,it's not unlimited by definition.

As for documents, maybe.... except for the FACT that microsoft has been pushing Groove Music. Upload you music to OneDrive, and stream it from Groove Music to any of your Microsoft devices.  

I don't know about you, but my "music" collection is large. And I'm using MP3s. What about the people using FLAC, or AAC loseless? Or?  See my point here. 

They messed up. Period. And now they're in damage control mode. 

Additionally ,if they didn't want to you store a lot of data on it, why publish an API?

JackoUK

No more figures from me now ...

... its your turn S.

1. If all MS revenues are up ... why do they need to slim OneDrive down?

2. How much do you think 10GB costs MS?

And also ...

... why do YOU think MS reneged?

Edited by JackoUK

schoondoggy

I completely disagree. If you say unlimited, mean unlimited. Anything else is ... well ,it's not unlimited by definition.

As for documents, maybe.... except for the FACT that microsoft has been pushing Groove Music. Upload you music to OneDrive, and stream it from Groove Music to any of your Microsoft devices.  

I don't know about you, but my "music" collection is large. And I'm using MP3s. What about the people using FLAC, or AAC loseless? Or?  See my point here. 

They messed up. Period. And now they're in damage control mode. 

Additionally ,if they didn't want to you store a lot of data on it, why publish an API?

What do you disagree with?

They started with limits, then they went unlimited, now they are back to limits. They changed their program.

They promoted the fact that the Groove Music app could play music from your OneDrive account, but I don't see where they told you to move your collection to OneDrive.

They should not have offered unlimited storage, but I don't think it is anything to get mad about. It was a free service. They can change it any way they want.