JackoUK

OneDrive recent developments & announcements

JackoUK

Looks like I need to construct Plan B ... Microsoft have reneged on the 'unlimited' OneDrive promise.

-snip-

Edited by Moderator

This thread on OneDrive has been split off from the StableBit CloudDrive Thread to keep that thread consistent with it's original posting

As in all postings Please keep the discussion Civil and Constructive

Thank you

Edited by Joe_Miner

JackoUK

It's way worse than I thought initially ...

... not only are MS withdrawing the 'unlimited' option, they are also reneging on the initial 15GB and 15GB camera roll bonus! (No comment on the 10GB long-time user bonus.)

https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/​

• Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued.

I think this is outrageous.

Just one more comment before I go and try to calm down.

-snip- by moderator

Windows 10 users might like to support my feedback item:

Maintain existing OneDrive storage allocations of 10GB (long-term Hotmail user), 15GB all users, 15GB camera roll bonus.
I regard the proposed reduction to 5GB announced at
https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/
as a BETRAYAL of TRUST.
Similarly the withdrawal of the 'unlimited' option is a BETRAYAL of TRUST.

Please prepare and commit to a professional Service Level Agreement with penalty clauses for non-conformance covering the entire Microsoft Consumer line of products: we are tired of ill-prepared and unilateral changes in Microsoft storage products, combined with the baseless corporate bluster of 'we are now a services company'.

EDIT by Moderator: the SLA discussion has been addressed http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9475-stablebit-clouddrive/?p=106981  

Edited by Joe_Miner

Drashna Jaelre

Ouch, that's .... ouch.

However, considering how aggressively Microsoft was throttling OneDrive, I cannot say that I'm surprised by this, at all. Sadly.

awraynor

Yes, was stung by Bitcasa with this same type of behavior. I actually use less than 1 TB, but it's the turnabout that is the issue and I

didn't think that Onedrive is that great to begin with.

I tried Amazon Cloud Drive Unlimited, but what a horrid product that is. 

I'm starting to think I should just sync a couple of NAS boxes, get a new ChromeBook and call it a day. They've killed my beloved

Zune, Windows Home Server and I'm not especially in love with Windows10. 

If my upload speeds weren't so pitiful this would be an even easier solution. 

JackoUK

After Microsoft's OneDrive betrayal I've had an idea for CloudDrive ...

... how difficult would it be to add a new Provider which stored files over the Net?

A lot like the old CIFS idea.

Big Worm

People started using OneDrive as a place to store backups.  Not surprised they stopped the unlimited and cut people way back.

Drashna Jaelre

After Microsoft's OneDrive betrayal I've had an idea for CloudDrive ...

... how difficult would it be to add a new Provider which stored files over the Net?

A lot like the old CIFS idea.

Depends on what exactly you mean.

Though, StableBit CloudDrive supports a few providers already and plan on adding more (like webdav, ftp, google drive, etc)

People started using OneDrive as a place to store backups.  Not surprised they stopped the unlimited and cut people way back.

You mean that people actually took advantage of the "unlimited" option, and then Microsoft realized that people actually would and that it wasn't cost effective for them? ..... Yeah.

Big Worm

You mean that people actually took advantage of the "unlimited" option, and then Microsoft realized that people actually would and that it wasn't cost effective for them? ..... Yeah.

I think it's a case that Microsoft meant unlimited meaning for personal documents. Not sure if they ever thought people would use it to backup their machines.  So yes the cost on this would be crazy.  Listen the the latest Windows Weekly.  They go over it pretty well.  I am not saying I think it's fair, just saying not surprised.

• Like 2

schoondoggy

It's way worse than I thought initially ...

... not only are MS withdrawing the 'unlimited' option, they are also reneging on the initial 15GB and 15GB camera roll bonus! (No comment on the 10GB long-time user bonus.)

https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/​

• Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued.

I think this is outrageous.

Just one more comment before I go and try to calm down.

5GB in the 21st century? **** you Microsoft.

(Just checked the date and it's not April 1.) 

Windows 10 users might like to support my feedback item:

Maintain existing OneDrive storage allocations of 10GB (long-term Hotmail user), 15GB all users, 15GB camera roll bonus.

I regard the proposed reduction to 5GB announced at

https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/

as a BETRAYAL of TRUST.

Similarly the withdrawal of the 'unlimited' option is a BETRAYAL of TRUST.

Please prepare and commit to a professional Service Level Agreement with penalty clauses for non-conformance covering the entire Microsoft Consumer line of products: we are tired of ill-prepared and unilateral changes in Microsoft storage products, combined with the baseless corporate bluster of 'we are now a services company'.

Speaking as a forum member, not a moderator:

So I think in this post you detailed you storage needs:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9273-home-server-jbod-for-storage-spaces/?p=100387

Did you ever stop to think that you are part of the problem?

What made you think OneDrive was designed to back up all of your data? It is a throttled file sharing service. It is great for syncing data between PC's and mobile devices.

OneDrive, DropBox, Box, Copy, Google Drive, Symform, Syncplicity are all file sharing services.

CrashPlan, Carbonite, Mozy are data backup services.

My grandfather taught me many years ago, use the right tool for the job.

Betrayal of trust? Did you have some contract with Microsoft guarantying capacity and service on OneDrive? No.

Microsoft made changes, because people used OneDrive in ways that Microsoft had not intended. You have many posts in the forum complaining about the throttled performance of OneDrive. Did you ever stop to think that they did that to try to keep guys like you from dumping TB's into it?

Determine your needs and choose the service to meet your needs.

I think it's a case that Microsoft meant unlimited meaning for personal documents. Not sure if they ever thought people would use it to backup their machines.  So yes the cost on this would be crazy.  Listen the the latest Windows Weekly.  They go over it pretty well.  I am not saying I think it's fair, just saying not surprised.

Good point, It is covered well by Windows Weekly. 

JackoUK

"Did you ever stop to think you are part of the problem?"

Yes

1. Given that Microsoft has a range of products it appears (and I think is the case) that they are attempting to produce a bundle of integrated services: windows; OneDrive; Office; Skype etc.

They also have (increasingly) detailed telemetry, so I assumed they had made the necessary calculations to cope with a vast majority of small scale users and a very small minority of large scale users.

Note that I have 7 windows licenses and 6 Office licenses ... it's not that I am freeloading.

2.I was not comfortable with the unlimited claim and stated elsewhere that I had submitted a complaint to the UK Trading Authorities. (They declined to take action.)

3. I have argued in several forums that consumers need a Service Level Agreement for unscrupulous global companies like Microsoft to force a sensible statement on offerings/capability. On no forums like this one have I seen anyone arguing for this standard professional approach to the problem.

Ironically I received a warning from a moderator about my anti-Microsoft attitude and claim that MS's last 3 ventures into storage were all failures!

So its now 4 ... and by Windows 8 they so nearly cracked it.

"What made you think OneDrive was designed to back up all your data."

1. Statements like "One place for everything in your life" and piles of similar marketing BS.

2. Study of MS's Storage technology architectures.