RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

3 Network Ports!

E3000

So Gen8 has 3 network ports... Port 0 for connecting to router/switch/lan, an iLo port for iLo... Am I right in thinking the shared Port 1 is for doing both using only one port? Is it necessary to use all 3? I read somewhere the 2nd (port1) would be used for virtualisation...

You have standard NICs on port 1 and 2 for redundancy, and the iLO is for management only. You can share the iLO with any of the ports 1,2 to avoid using a dedicated cable or not connect it at all, your choice. There is no port 0, or port for virtualisation only.

Hey Sal, thanks for answering. I kinda worded my question wrong, sorry. What I was really meaning to ask is WHY would we want to use a separate port for iLo if it's not necessary, and why/when would we use 2 if we were not using iLo? (That was the reason I mentioned virtualisation as I read somewhere that people prefer to use one dedicated for that purpose). I suppose you answered it in any case ;-)

The iLO is on a separate port as it's separate controller not part of the standard NICs and in the server world generally you want the iLO connected to a segregated network not accessible by users. You have 2 NICs for resilience, nothing is stopping you from using just one of them for all your needs.

id it worth with esxi to connect the two nics to the network? Will it use both (something like load balancing) or not?

Unless you have multiple clients using different VMs at gigabit speed, there is no point.

Each link is only 1gb and the traffic from each VM is balanced to a NIC, so the maximum each VM could use is still 1gb, even if you had many users...