RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NAS - Build, buy, or what?

How much do you think your data needs will grow over the next 2-3 years? You say you have 2TB of data now. Also do any of the files need to be stored encrypted?

No on the encrypted.  Absolutely no idea how much more I'll need.  I don't think that really matters to the original question though, does it?  Regardless of the path, I'm going to be choosing specific sized hardware that gives me room to add in one way or another.

He's a question related to the original topic:  What kind of OS does QNAP/Synology/etc run?  Is it Windows or their own home grown stuff?  This will dictate what kind of apps I might be able to run on them.  What are the advantages that these boxes provide over a Windows home-build option?  Ease of use?  Reliability?  Packaging? 

Why would each of you choose one over the other?

Thanks,

Keith

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• Jazman

• awraynor

• schoondoggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WHS 2011 + StableBit DrivePool will do what you want (can't validate the Linux requirement). In particular the "duplicate only some folders" is handled quite well by DrivePool (that I can personally v

Well, if you own a license for StableBit DrivePool already, you can purchase additional licenses at a discounted price. Just scroll down on the purchase page, and there should be an "Already own one o

Yup, thanks.  I am aware of their additional license stuff.  Whether it's needed or compatible will depend on what solution/path I go down.   Definitely love their products! Keith

No on the encrypted.  Absolutely no idea how much more I'll need.  I don't think that really matters to the original question though, does it?  Regardless of the path, I'm going to be choosing specific sized hardware that gives me room to add in one way or another.

He's a question related to the original topic:  What kind of OS does QNAP/Synology/etc run?  Is it Windows or their own home grown stuff?  This will dictate what kind of apps I might be able to run on them.  What are the advantages that these boxes provide over a Windows home-build option?  Ease of use?  Reliability?  Packaging? 

Why would each of you choose one over the other?

Thanks,

Keith

Here the thing when you come to this forum looking for advice we will ask certain questions to try and come up with a solution for you so as is the case with me asking what you think your storage needs will be in the next few years would help me recommend a box that would work for you. Personally I would not do a BYOB I would purchase a NAS from the likes of Synology or QNAP, You can do many great things with these boxes without the need to purchase extra software from 3rd party like CrashPlan because everything is built in. I use to do BYOB but I am now at an age in my life that I need simple and it just needs to work. If you don't need or want the NAS to host VMs then I say Synology, I have several of there boxes and I could not be more happy with them but if you want to have VMs on the NAS then QNAP is your box. As for the OS Synology & QNAP use its Linux under the hood. You cant run any windows applications on Synology but you can on QNAP in a VM. I like Synology because I feel that DSM is more mature then QNAP and they have more applications and the whole thing feels cleaner to me then QNAP. That's my 2 cents.

Hope this info helps...

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

With the whole OneDrive debacle I'm beginning to look at my whole home storage strategy differently. Kids will be using Mac's in school

so main family PC might be MacMini or iMac with mass storage on a NAS. The NAS will backup to CrashPlan and/or Amazon Cloud Drive.

Wife loves her ChromeBook, I would be fine with one too. Throw in a few tablets, media streamers and we're good. 

Given WHS, Zune and essentially OneDrive are literally dead or dead to me I'll keep one Windows PC for certain software. 

I'm surprised no one brought this up.  I just stumbled across it accidentally (I no longer listed to every episode - sorry Dave!).  Working through it now...

http://homeservershow.com/qnap-vs-synology-vs-host-your-own-server-on-hss-288.html

Keith

P.S.  What's the OneDrive debacle you're talking about?

I beleve the OneDrive debacle is this http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2015/11/03/microsoft-upsets-onedrive-users-with-major-reduction-in-storage/?utm_source=The+Digital+Lifestyle.com+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=67010b1b78-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_term=0_d83d89c7d4-67010b1b78-319385497

Waiting for Black Friday to see if any NAS deals come out. Synology seems to have superior software by reputation

and QNAP the hardware. Since mine will be a Plex Media Server hardware is important. 

Since QNAP just released a successor to the TS-451 in the form of the TS-451+ I'm leaning toward the 

TS-653 Pro, TS-453 Mini or the new TS-451+.

I tried to open a folder for restore last night and it blue screened my Win10 machine. Looks like VEEAM and a NAS in my future. 

With the whole OneDrive debacle I'm beginning to look at my whole home storage strategy differently. Kids will be using Mac's in school

so main family PC might be MacMini or iMac with mass storage on a NAS. The NAS will backup to CrashPlan and/or Amazon Cloud Drive.

Wife loves her ChromeBook, I would be fine with one too. Throw in a few tablets, media streamers and we're good. 

Given WHS, Zune and essentially OneDrive are literally dead or dead to me I'll keep one Windows PC for certain software. 

Tony, I think this is bit fatalistic - OneDrive isnt dead. I think the thought that it would be a "bulk" backup solution - like crashplan or amazon glacial was always unrealistic.

Shame on Microsoft for misleading us but really should any one be surprised that concepts like "unlimited" storage or "unlimited" bandwidth aren't workable ?

The "free storage" for one drive is consistent with the other free storage options and the Office 365 deal (5 users at 1 TB each) is still very compelling. My photo and documents collection isnt even up to 100 gigs.

So for most "cloud" storage needs Onedrive is viable - no reason to change at this point.

I'm just trying to simplify things. Tablets, cell phones and ChromeBooks are good enough for most of what we do. Wife mocked me the other day

when I talked about backing up my Windows notebook. One big heavy lifting PC in the office and we should be covered. 

Just frustrated that with my 4 meg upload speed I went through the same thing with Bitcasa, now OneDrive. The few with 75TB

ruined it for the rest of us, but I do need more than 1TB or at least an option to go higher than that. 

Waiting for Black Friday to see if any NAS deals come out. Synology seems to have superior software by reputation

and QNAP the hardware. Since mine will be a Plex Media Server hardware is important. 

Since QNAP just released a successor to the TS-451 in the form of the TS-451+ I'm leaning toward the 

TS-653 Pro, TS-453 Mini or the new TS-451+.

I tried to open a folder for restore last night and it blue screened my Win10 machine. Looks like VEEAM and a NAS in my future. 

As a Synology fanboy and having looked at the live demo of QNAP I am on the side of agreeing that Synology has superior software, Lots of QNAP software is in beta and whats not in beta just feels/looks unfinished to me. Have you had a chance to read this review from AnandTech on the new TS-451+? http://www.anandtech.com/show/9749/qnap-ts451-soho-nas-review

They say "we would recommend the TS-453 Pro over the TS-451+. For the TS-451+ to become a compelling choice, the pricing aspect needs to be addressed"

O yes the old Mitty unreliable backup/restores of Microsoft's WHS/WSE, I feel your pain with this and one of many reasons I no longer use WHS/WSE in favor of Synology NAS. Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE with a NAS is a winning combination for sure.

You and I have a conversations in other threads about running Plex media server on the NAS, I am still not sure how well that's going to work for you if your going to try and have Plex trans-code, I do have a Celeron J1900 bare-bones coming in the next few days for testing Plex on. I will post my findings in the Media forums in the next 10 days or so of how it worked. If your interested in what I ordered see below-

Gigabyte NUC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VBNSO8U?colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I37VDMZO4AICXG&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Samsung SSD 850 EVO http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJ412U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Crucial 8GB Single DDR3 Memory http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG8X9Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Edited by itGeeks
Poppapete

My photo and documents collection isnt even up to 100 gigs.

So for most "cloud" storage needs Onedrive is viable - no reason to change at this point.

I have all my documents, photos and music on OneDrive and I have not used 10% of 1TB.  Happy with OneDrive. Always figured "unlimited" to be a marketing term used by many companies and to have no real meaning.