RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hp microserver Gen8 doubts?

Haxsource

Hi mates Ive been an avid reader of this forum since I bought my new HP gen8 server.

I cleared lots of my doubts by reading here daily I wanted to thank you all for sharing such great info and having this sección built.

I still have some silly doubts I would like to ask though. Hope someone could throw some light or point one the right direction.

1. I bought the Intel Xeon 1265Lv2 processor on Alibaba for around 358$ plus 50€ non expected on arrival to Spain where Im from. Almost 380€....pretty expensive but couldnt find it anywhere else that announced a new non refurbished or used processor.

If you guys find it somewhere else dont doubt to share some links, still have to check if this processor I bough is genuine and If not I will able to get my money back I guess.

2.I got a spare NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 laying around and I was wondering if there is some kind of compatibily sheet for Graphic cards. HP gen8 has a pcie16x port but my graphic card is a bit higher to fit onto the slot unless i cut out some metal on the rear case. Here the specs

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-220/specifications

If you ask why would I put this graphic card is mainly because I want to give some use to it and not have it collecting dust.

My plan is to have an vmware esxi and maybe passthrough the GPU to the VM.

Thanks for your time guys

1. Personally i haven't heard of fake CPUs, so if the marking on top is the correct one you are fine. This is very high price you paid for something with no real warranty, it goes on e-bay regularly for £150-200, you just need to setup alerts and have patience. There is nothing wrong in using 2nd hand CPU they are made to last decades.

2.There is no compatibility chart as this server was never meant to use external GPU, the 2 main factors are power usage and physical dimensions, this GPU is within the reason for power usage, for the dimensions it depends on the brand, but many people are cutting the heatsinks with no problem. I would be curious to know why you need the GPU in the first place.

1. Personally i haven't heard of fake CPUs, so if the marking on top is the correct one you are fine. This is very high price you paid for something with no real warranty, it goes on e-bay regularly for £150-200, you just need to setup alerts and have patience. There is nothing wrong in using 2nd hand CPU they are made to last decades.

2.There is no compatibility chart as this server was never meant to use external GPU, the 2 main factors are power usage and physical dimensions, this GPU is within the reason for power usage, for the dimensions it depends on the brand, but many people are cutting the heatsinks with no problem. I would be curious to know why you need the GPU in the first place.

I know I was just sketchy with http://superuser.com/questions/635565/fake-intel-cpusand other articles I read about fake processors and Alibaba at least didnt give me any confidence...you know china....

I will double check my processor anyway :ph34r: :

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-014921.htm

Altough its true what you say...I should've wait a bit longer since the price is high. I rather look at it by saying hey 100€ more for having it right now! I guess...(gotta be positive) XD.

Worst case scenario got 1 year warranty.

And for the GPU case I just want it to give it some use since its just chilling on my desk.  :)

Anyway thanks @Sal.

Edited by Haxsource

Yeah I guess your right. Will do as you say then. Thought that maybe if I had several VM running it would became handy.

Thanks again! :rolleyes: