RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows dragging issue in windows 10 on HP Gen8

colinw

Hi,

I installed windows 10 on my HP Gen8, i had fun and games trying to do this using inteligent provisioning as evey time it unpacked the install.wim it kept saying there was an xml file missing ?

Anyway after a restart it did carry on installing fine.

But my issue now  is when i drag a window around (say file explorer) on the desktop it always leaves an outline of the window which then refreshes when i drop it elsewhere.

I have tried the microsoft basic driver and two HP Matrox drivers as well but it's still the same.

I don't remember having this issue while on windows 8.1 ?

Any ideas please.

Thanks.

Congratulations, I'm a little surprised you got it to install with IP since W10 isn't a Server SW

Could you tell us more about your setup: for starters....

RAID?

OS Drive?

OS Drive Location?

Graphics Card?

RAM?

So...why?!? Why would anyone would install a DESKTOP OS on a SERVER hardware.

I just need to know the answer, because the scope of your setup may indicate your basic usage for it. If we know your usage, we might resolve your issue.

But WHY?!?

Hi Joe,

Yes I'm surprised too, but I did have Windows 8.1 pro on there before, that went on ok.

Anyway yes my setup.

Windows 10 is on an ssd on the odd drive and I have two drives in the front, all running on the raid b120i controller.

While setting it up was using the default matrox g200 built in graphics connected to a 22" 1080p monitor.

That's when I noticed the issue.

But now it's all done there is no monitor connected, I only Remote Desktop into it etc, and even doing this the issue is still there.

16gb of ram.

Thanks.

Metaluss, why because that was is my choice ? Lots of gen 8 users have a normal os installed.

I use it to stream films and to shows to another pc connected to my tv using kodi.

So you did the free upgrade from W8.1 Pro to W10Pro?

I'm planning to try that later so am wondering if that's what you did too.

Not sure about the cursor lag -- I assume you're using drivers from HP's Server 2012R2 download site?

Hi Joe,

Yes I did the update first of all and that went fine.

And then I tried doing the clean install.

I'm not 100% sure if I have the driver for that os, I find it hard getting the right links for software for this g8.

But I did try a couple I had already.

Strange as after the upgrade form 8 to 10 I did not have the issue.

Thanks

I had no problems with window redraw on Windows 10 beta when i was using it on the gen8, however I am not sure if that was just because I took an SSD from another machine and (accidentally) booted it. I had had originally intended to wipe and install a server OS, but it just worked^tm. the only changes I needed to do was to install the motherboard/ilo components and the matrox driver. 

So...why?!? Why would anyone would install a DESKTOP OS on a SERVER hardware.

I just need to know the answer, because the scope of your setup may indicate your basic usage for it. If we know your usage, we might resolve your issue.

But WHY?!?

Price? not everyone is using pirated software...

• Like 1

Price? not everyone is using pirated software...

Yeah, the FREE and LEGAL alternatives are better than a desktop OS. From Microsoft we have a FREE version of Windows Server 2012  Hyper-V CORE.

There are also a number of other FREE alternatives. If you need to test a specific version of Windows server, you can do so for FREE for 180 days.

And, of course, if you buy SERVER hardware, one should shell out the cash for the (server) software, as well as for the hardware. If you only have money for the hardware part, then focus on the free software alternative (or on the cheaper one).

And as a side note, Microsoft has a BizSpark program. If you have a Firm, you can enroll and receive a MSDN account for free. I use it in my Firm for a couple of years. It's great to test all the configurations and client-server combinations in a wider environment. Like you said, not everyone is using pirated software...not when the FREE alternatives are great.

Good luck!