RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How are you viewing your photos now that MediaCenter is dead?

TheGuru

Ok. Windows Media Center might not be dead as such.

But the media landscape has changed. We are all using the cloud in some form and have data on our homeserver/NAS/OneDriv/GoogleDrive/iCloud/you-name-itCloud.

So, my question is: how are you viewing your photos today? Are you still on Windows MediaCenter? Are you using appleTV? ChromeCast?

Or are you no longer viewing photos on your 55" TV anymore?

Ideas and input wanted. I cannot seem ting find the right solution. Photos taken from the iPhone is only synced locally to a Mac/PC. Windows MediaCenter is becoming more and more obsolete. Chromecast is limited and pretty slow if you want to browse through 16K photos using your mobile device. The Apple TV only supports one level og subfolders and requires either a subscription or an iTunes powered on, on a PC/Mac.

Help! :)

Thanks everyone.

Ok. Windows Media Center might not be dead as such.

But the media landscape has changed. We are all using the cloud in some form and have data on our homeserver/NAS/OneDriv/GoogleDrive/iCloud/you-name-itCloud.

So, my question is: how are you viewing your photos today? Are you still on Windows MediaCenter? Are you using appleTV? ChromeCast?

Or are you no longer viewing photos on your 55" TV anymore?

Ideas and input wanted. I cannot seem ting find the right solution. Photos taken from the iPhone is only synced locally to a Mac/PC. Windows MediaCenter is becoming more and more obsolete. Chromecast is limited and pretty slow if you want to browse through 16K photos using your mobile device. The Apple TV only supports one level og subfolders and requires either a subscription or an iTunes powered on, on a PC/Mac.

Help! :)

Thanks everyone.

I use Plex for all my media and it works great! It does not Nativity support live TV as of yet, I am hopping some day it will.

https://plex.tv/

Emby supports picture viewing but I do not use it for this. The software runs as service on my server and clients are available for a number of devices including roku, android, and html5 Web client.

I use Windows Photo Viewer -- for family get togethers I turn on the slide show while playing a holiday playlist

I also use PowerDVD (I have PowerDVD13 & PowerDVD14 depending on which machine) which is pretty neat in that it will play MP4's one after another in a folder (as well as do slideshow of pictures)

I have PowerDVD13 loaded on my Surface 3 and use it to play videos and picture slideshows for family

NOTE: I plan to upgrade to PowerDVD15 on my Surface and my LR HTPC by the end of the year.

Edited by Joe_Miner

I don't look at photos on a TV, in fact I rarely even look at them, but I hear Google has a great new (free) photos AP!

Can do photos through FireTV. Free storage of photos on Amazon Cloud Drive for Prime members.

Tried it for other stuff, it was a miserable experience. 

I don't look at photos on a TV, in fact I rarely even look at them, but I hear Google has a great new (free) photos AP!

I don't look at photos on the big screen either however unlike you I do like to look at my photos now that I am a grandfather of two ages 1 & 4, It puts a smile on my face when I am sitting in the kitchen and glance over and see the little ones. I use digital picture frames around my house and they work great, My Daughter emails pictures right to my frame for my viewing. The one that I use is by Nixplay https://www.nixplay.com/

The company is always adding new features to this frame the only bad thing is there is no DLNA/File Share support so you cant display pictures from the local network. There is another picture frame that gets good ratings as well that does support DLNA/File Shares its called Pix-Star though I have not tried it yet but I plan on doing so soon. https://www.pix-star.com/

Edited by itGeeks

I use Windows Photo Viewer -- for family get togethers I turn on the slide show while playing a holiday playlist

I also use PowerDVD (I have PowerDVD13 & PowerDVD14 depending on which machine) which is pretty neat in that it will play MP4's one after another in a folder (as well as do slideshow of pictures)

I have PowerDVD13 loaded on my Surface 3 and use it to play videos and picture slideshows for family

NOTE: I plan to upgrade to PowerDVD15 on my Surface and my LR HTPC by the end of the year.

I looked at PowerDVD sometime ago but ended up purchasing ArcSoft Total Media Theater, I cant remember y I decided not to use PowerDVD but now I am looking for a replacement so I may give PowerDVD another look. Do you use it for playing Blu-Ray disc and if so how does it work for you? I would install this on my LR HTPC for DVD & Blu-Ray disk so it would have to be really easy for the family to use. Right now I just have a separate DVD/Blu-Ray player for this task and that works good to but I also have the HTPC and that has a Blu-Ray drive in it so I figure y not use that and free up some clutter but it has to be supper easy to use or else...Well I don't have to say anymore :(

Edited by itGeeks