RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Updating and other stuff

bth125

OK, I just got a gen8 to replace my N40L. Main reason is it is in the loft, and I like the idea of iLO.

I've registered for the trial and all seems to be working with that for now.

Got the o/s installed, all OK.

Biggest issue is I'd like to update the bios and ILO.

I've gone in through F10 at boot with network cables in both ports, but when I select update it just tells me there's an error connecting to the server. I can connect on my PC to the hp ftp site so I know it isn't that.

Both are set to use DHCP, but I have also tried to use static also. Are there any logs or way of working out what it's problem is?

I can see other suggestions about downloading an update ISO, but I dont seem to be able to get that to download either. Is there a link to a non HP hosted iso of the latest update? A lot of the threads for the update issue above seem to talk about updating ILO itself, how do I do that?

Finally, before I put this up in the loft it would be nice to potentially get wake on lan working. Are there any good guides or howtos on how to do this? In between pings does the server power down, or sleep or what? I'm a little concerned by how long the bios boot up takes and wouldn't want to be waiting that long.

Lastly, has anyone found any non ECC (i.e. cheap) memory that is compatible with these or does the ECC restriction still stand?

Thanks in advance.

Link for sp in this topic :

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10195-hp-service-pack-for-proliant-american-international-2015100-1-oct-2015/

Kingston ram is the cheap alternative; search kingston+server+memory, you will find some links for online shops; every memory type has a number (like kvr1333d3e9s/8g); next search kvr1333d3e9s/8g+gen8 to find out if it has been tested and it works.

I just bought Kingston KVR16E11S8/4I. 

2pcs. for 50$, that was a fair deal.

It was on ebay, from Israel.

Mine Gen8 would not either upgrade with the F10 option, so I went with the SP on a USB stick solution.

It should be "burned" to the usb stick with the HP software, then boot on it.

Or you can have the update ISO on your local machine and mount the ISO and boot from it remotely on the Gen8.

That requires iLO advanced license, you can get a trial for free or a permanent license from e-bay for $10-15

Thanks All,

Downloaded the link above and updated it that way instead.

Just need to get wake on lan running before I put it in the loft.

The WOL part seems to work, but the autoshutdown on openmediavault didn't seem to work for me.

Thanks All,

Downloaded the link above and updated it that way instead.

Just need to get wake on lan running before I put it in the loft.

The WOL part seems to work, but the autoshutdown on openmediavault didn't seem to work for me.

you don't need WOL. you have iLO for that. I thin iLO has a autoshutdown feature as well. I'm not sure, since I have never used it.

you don't need WOL. you have iLO for that. I thin iLO has a autoshutdown feature as well. I'm not sure, since I have never used it.

So I can get ILO to suspend the server, then wake up when WOL packets are sent to it?

I wasn't aware that was possible. Obviously the wake up side is part of the bios, but I assumed the sleep side was on whatever O/S you were using?

To wake up the server is pretty easy. iLO does that. I'm not sure about suspend though, because I never used it. Mine just runs day and night. Although I think I too need a suspend/resume schedule, just to cut down on electricity costs.

If you don't have a iLO licence, you still have enough time to turn the server ON. You can use iLO for about 30 sec before it disconnects you.