RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CPU upgrade

Rolfeo

Hi All,

I'v had my Gen8 for a year and love it. I have used it for various testing and I do daily backups of my work PC and a couple of laptops. My main use, however, is as a Plex server.

I now want to upgrade the CPU to improve the transcoding to various devices as I currently have the stock Celeron.

The thing is, I bought my Gen8 in the UK but I currently live in South Africa and the prices here are ludicrous becaus eof the weak Rand. I am visiting the UK for 10 days from middle of next week and want to purchase a new CPU and any fans I may need whilst I'm there. As the delivery needs to be quick I can't afford to wait for items from Germany or the US.

So, my questions are:

1) Best CPU upgrade for my Gen8 to be mainly used as a Plex sever?

2) What fans or cooling devices should I look at?

3) In terms of quick delivery, Amazon, Ebay, anywhere else?

Thanks for reading this far, I tend to ramble.

There is a sticky thread at the top all about CPU upgrades...

Best choice within the TDP of the stock heatsink is i5-3470T, but they are rare at a good price.

i3-3220T also works; might be best to check out cpubenchmark.net to see the performance and compare it to your plex needs.

Alternate (but overkill for just Plex) would be an Xeon. There are E3-1265L on eBay UK (item 291599623573) - these are 10w over the heatsink rating but work fine. If the MS is in a hot climate, you might want to increase the cooling setting in BIOS though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply snapper.

I looked at the sticky threads but got a little confused and took the shortcut of asking as I need a quick answer.

I've made an offer for the 1265L you mentioned. Overkill maybe but it's more of a future proof choice.

Now to look through the cooling threads in the forum...

• 3 months later...

i only purchased two, one for myself and one up for grabs :) - just waiting for the heat sinks to arrive which will be by the end of the week so i can install my i3-3240 since its a 65w TDP lol i need the cooling

i only purchased two, one for myself and one up for grabs :) - just waiting for the heat sinks to arrive which will be by the end of the week so i can install my i3-3240 since its a 65w TDP lol i need the coolingHi

Hi,

Is there much difference between the Celeron one and Xeon HS?

just upgraded to this CPU, and installed the OEM HP 65W TDP+ heatsink and my idel temp is around 36C - But during backups and normal use it spikes to 54c is this okay? 

just upgraded to this CPU, and installed the OEM HP 65W TDP+ heatsink and my idel temp is around 36C - But during backups and normal use it spikes to 54c is this okay? 

I'm running an E3 1290v2, which is, IIRC 87W - with a stock 35W heatsink (with cardboard ducting). Flat out, it tops out at 49C Tcase. Intel data sheet specs the 87W E3-1290v2 at 55.5C Tcase_max. Tjunction tops out at 84C, which is also within spec.

See here for details: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5895-potential-cpu-upgrade-options-for-microserver-g8/page-8#entry106977

So if the temperature you are referring to is Tcase, you are pretty close to the limit. If it is Tjunction you are miles away from 1the thermal limits of the chip. Which is it? Where are you getting the temperature reading from?

Edited by gordan