RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Verizon FIOS Router

jmwills

What services do you have with FiOs? Are you looking to completely replace there router with your own? If you have TV and or phone service with FiOs then you cant completely replace there router with your own however you can add your own router on a DMZ off there router to create your own network, That's what I do using Sophos and it works great for me.

Edited by itGeeks

Not for me but my son. We wired the house with CAT6 while under construction. The FIOS guy comes tomorrow. Thanks for the info and I'm sure he will want to keep the installation as basic as possible.

Go for their Quantum Gateway G1100.  Wireless AC with 1300mb support and moca 2.   Ive debated going to it but still run a seperate ap then just use my fios router as a bridge

• Like 1

Thanks Bryan. It appears vthat Verizon is elling for the same price that Amazon has.

Verizon should be providing you with the router as part of the new service, Just stand your ground that you want the "Quantum Gateway G1100" if they try and install there older router ^_^ As I said before if you have the TV and or there phone service then from all my on/off testing over the course of a year shows there router needs to be first inline. I would be very interested if Bryan found the perfect configuration with detailed instructions of how he did this and still have ALL the FiOs services work without ever braking. Have a look at the link below for an idea of what I am talking about-

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

If all your son is getting is FiOs internet then no need for there outer at all, Either way if you plan on installing another router to use side by side with FiOs or as a stand alone make sure they activate the Ethernet port on the ONT and run the Cat 5/6 cable for you otherwise they will handle all the traffic over coax and that wont be any good for you.

Hope this helps....

Edited by itGeeks

Yes, he is getting the FIOS internet. Supposedly, Verizon allows 6 houes for the install. We'll see what they bring.