RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RDP to HTPC Problems

ImTheTypeOfGuy

After six years of use I had to rebuild my HTPC because the hard drive was full. Yes I could have removed some things but I decided to just rebuild as I had a couple of other issues going on. After setting it up and removing the proper Microsoft KB update I have a problem with the MC logo staying on screen. MC never opens up it just has the logo in the middle of the screen. The real problem with that is it stays on top so everything I open, is blocked by the MC logo.

Anyone else have this issue?

Anyone know how to fix it.

After six years of use I had to rebuild my HTPC because the hard drive was full. Yes I could have removed some things but I decided to just rebuild as I had a couple of other issues going on. After setting it up and removing the proper Microsoft KB update I have a problem with the MC logo staying on screen. MC never opens up it just has the logo in the middle of the screen. The real problem with that is it stays on top so everything I open, is blocked by the MC logo.

Anyone else have this issue?

Anyone know how to fix it.

What version of Windows are we talking about? You did a complete wipe & reload? What Microsoft KB update did you remove & Y did you remove it?

Windows 7. Yes a complete wipe and new install of OS. KB2984972 because it is known to prevent concurrent RDP sessions from working properly.

To be clear, MC should start up since it is set to start up on start. However it just stays on the logo screen and never loads.

This only occurs on the RDP session. The actual HTPC works fine.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

This only occurs on the RDP session. The actual HTPC works fine.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was on the road all day and just got back to my office. I was going to ask you if this only happens when you try to RDP into the HTPC so thank you for that info. I have bad news for you, What you are seeing is by design, Microsoft has gone threw great lengths to protect the content that is viewed/played threw Media Center such as DRM to protect the content creator, What you are seeing is by design. If Microsoft allowed everyone to use there remote desktop application aka RDP to play media that was hosted on MC this would be a terrible flow by design. I understand this may of worked before you did the wipe and reload but that was either a fluke or some hack that you did and forgot about. About 3 years ago was the last time I used "Microsoft Remote Desktop" and even back then when I would try to access my living room HTPC it would only give me a black screen and I would have to hunt in the upper right corner to click on the X to close media center so I could see the desktop. Your only option now is to either figure out what hack you mite have done or try a 3rd party "remote desktop app" like "Team Viewer" to see if that will work for you. https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Team Viewer is FREE for home use and works really great, I been using it for almost 3 years and much prefer it over Microsoft Remote Desktop but I don't know if its going to solve your problem. I have not used Microsoft Media Center since it was pronounced dead after Windows 7 so I cant test it for you. No disrespect but Y are you still trying to use MC at this point? This product is beyond dead and there are much better alternatives like Plex & Emby formally known as Media Browser. If you use either of these to products you would not have to RDP into the HTPC to play the content because they are client/server based and they have client support for many platforms including Android/iOS/XBox, Ect. I use Plex and absalutly love it, It does not have native support for TV broadcasting but there are 3rd party apps that you can use for over the air TV, I don't use that so I cant comment how well it works but Emby does have support for over ther air TV but I dont think it supports cable cards yet.

This is the link for Plex that I use: https://plex.tv/

This is the link for Emby: https://emby.media/

Edited by itGeeks

I didn't watch shows through RDP. It was nice because while watching a show on the TV (via MC), I could RDP into the HTPC and change settings in MC or the computer. Now, because of the logo staying on screen and the fact MC doesn't start I can't do either. Unfortunately it doesn't show up in task manager or in processes (at least not with a MC related file I know of) so I can't kill it.

I looked at MediaBrowser and Plex a while back and I didn't feel either was ready for primetime. And there is no way my family would use those programs. I will stick with MC until it dies. Hopefully Microsoft will continue updating the guide data for a very long time.