RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Grid Junction

mrossco

The past week, we've seen some hellish temperatures in St. Louis. We've been hitting highs at or about 100F all week and the air quality has been miserable. I've come home just about every day to find that the power had cut out, and I even saw on the news Friday about half-a-dozen water main breaks around the city. I should have figured things would get worse when I was driving home from dinner late last night and my car was still registering 103F.

I abruptly awoke to a massive thunderstorm. Our neighborhood lost power, but I could still see clearly outside from all the lightning. My thoughts started to wander about my family. With no power, there's no air conditioning. I knew my wife and I would be ok, but my in-laws still live by themselves, and my father-in-law has been very sick. I had to formulate in my mind what I should do in case the power did not come back on to make sure he would be ok.

What my mind did not worry about was my Windows Home Server. Grid Junction took care of that for me.

GridJunctionWHS.png

GridJunctionLog.png

This is probably the best add-in I've installed on my Windows Home Server.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• cskenney

• mrossco

• ikon

I must say I love GridJunction also. I think the only thing is I now see how bad my power is lol. I get so many brown-outs in this house I am tempted to call an electrician to do a thorough check of everything since it is an older house.

brennok - I have a UPS now that displays the line voltage on it all the time. When the outside temperatures go up and people start running their A/C more my line voltage will go from 120VAC down to about 110 - 111 VAC. Add to that the considerable current draw that an A/C compressor or a refrigerator will place on the system and you will probably see more brownout events during this time of the year. Not to say that you might not have an issue.

I must say I love GridJunction also. I think the only thing is I now see how bad my power is lol. I get so many brown-outs in this house I am tempted to call an electrician to do a thorough check of everything since it is an older house.

It often isn't as much the older house but the older neighborhood its in. A lot of these older homes either still don't have central air or it was installed so poorly that you still need to run window units to supplement. Couple that with older appliances and you've got a wealth of inefficiency drawing on an often dated transformer.

Still get an electrician in to check out your box and certainly consider an energy audit by your local utility. They'll typically give you a lot of free information you can use to better understand where you can start saving money and get to "cleaner" power in your home.

• 3 weeks later...

It often isn't as much the older house but the older neighborhood its in. A lot of these older homes either still don't have central air or it was installed so poorly that you still need to run window units to supplement. Couple that with older appliances and you've got a wealth of inefficiency drawing on an often dated transformer.

Still get an electrician in to check out your box and certainly consider an energy audit by your local utility. They'll typically give you a lot of free information you can use to better understand where you can start saving money and get to "cleaner" power in your home.

Thanks. One problem I have is this house has been renovated and added on to several times over the years. I am sure I probably have some issues just with how they added on and wired those rooms.

akent,

GJ is the first add-in I install on any server. Great piece of coding. I fell into a problem with add in central installing the latest version but it had nothing to do with your update. Keep up the good work. It seems like yesterday we where still beta testing the first release.

Thanks guys, I am very happy that people find Grid Junction useful. It always makes my day =)

Thanks for the Add-In it is an "essential" for sure.

I recently installed GJ too. I couldn't install it before because my UPS is APC and for some strange reason I didn't have the USB/RJ50 cable. I'm not a big fan of APC anyway but it was what the store had at the time in a wattage large enough for my purposes. Anyway, I ordered a cheapo RJ50 crimper and some plugs and made some cables for me and a couple of friends by chopping the B connector from some USB cables I had lying around. GJ is now installed and reporting all is well. Still haven't had a chance to test drive it by yanking the AC plug from the wall but will do that soon.