RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Refurb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s $69.99

schoondoggy

Urgh. Refurb drives. I wouldn't touch one with somebody elses 10 foot barge pole! I don't think I've ever had a refurb drive that didn't die mysteriously within 6 months of getting it. This is despite the manufacturer "guarantee" that a refurbished/recertified drive undertakes more tests than a regular drive so is therefore good.

Edited by GotNoTime

I wouldn't buy these new, let alone refurb.  I personally own 12 of this model and 4 more in my office. Of these 16, I have had 4 complete failures for a 25% failure rate.  I wish I would have come across BackBlaze's articles on hard drive reliability before I bought all of these.  Seagate 3 TB drives have over a 40% failure rate within the first year.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

This is the updated article.  Looks like the failure rate is down to 25%.  Still completely unacceptable.

For my own state of mind, I need to replace these with something else.  Any suggestions on reliability?  I'm looking for at least 4TB, preferably 6TB drives.

Thanks for posting the deals, keep it up.

Alex

I wouldn't buy these new, let alone refurb.  I personally own 12 of this model and 4 more in my office. Of these 16, I have had 4 complete failures for a 25% failure rate.  I wish I would have come across BackBlaze's articles on hard drive reliability before I bought all of these.  Seagate 3 TB drives have over a 40% failure rate within the first year.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

This is the updated article.  Looks like the failure rate is down to 25%.  Still completely unacceptable.

For my own state of mind, I need to replace these with something else.  Any suggestions on reliability?  I'm looking for at least 4TB, preferably 6TB drives.

Thanks for posting the deals, keep it up.

Alex

HGST seems to be the most reliable.

There are several discussions on the forum on the BB info.

Odd as it seems I have had good luck with refurbished products even drives.

I've had good experiences with other refurbished products. Just not hard drives.

Odd as it seems I have had good luck with refurbished products even drives.

I've had good experiences with other refurbished products. Just not hard drives.

I've always been a little concerned about refurbished HDDs but actually I've had very good experiences with them -- including the refurbished ST3000DM001's

I've got one in my main desktop that I store exported VM's and snapshots.