RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Seagate Archive HDD ST8000AS0002 8TB

Maurizio

I have not. I can not think of a reason that they would not work. These drives use shingled writing, they are not designed to be used as a standard drive. How were you planning on using them? What OS or file system?

I have not. I can not think of a reason that they would not work. These drives use shingled writing, they are not designed to be used as a standard drive. How were you planning on using them? What OS or file system?

Probably I will use this HDD in FreeBSD with ZFS for backing up an 8GB pool. I know about SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) and the ZFS copy-on-write should work well, at least for backup.

I have 2x 8TB installed and create RAID1 and RAID0 arrays on them with onboard B120i controller. No problems so far.

Edited by ArnisR

ZFS developers anti-recommend shingled write drives under normal circumstances. There is work in progress to try to make ZFS play better with them, but the problem is that the disk firmware interferes. Early tests seem to indicate (from behaviour/performance observation only) that shingled drives have a staging area to handle writes, after which they commit data from the staging area to the shingled areas in idle time. If you exceed the write capacity of the staging area, the perfrormance tanks massively.

So ultimately it depends on the load profile. If it's read-mostly and writes are small and infrequent, you should be OK with shingled drives.

• 3 months later...

running low on space on the external drive used to back up my Server

having a single 8 TB drive  to do this  sounds like a decent way to go 

cost / TB is pretty attractive -   

99% of the activity are writes -  I have a local crash plan backup set to back up my data to an external drive

This seem to be a ideal use case for  a shingled drive -  or I am missing something