RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to Gen8 Microserver

a5ian300zx

Hi All,

I am new to the forums and wanted to build a lab and decided on purchasing a Gen8 Microserver which is the first I have own.

Goal: build a Esxi 6 Lab for testing and training for work

Gen8 Spec so Far:

Intel® Celeron® CPU G1610T @ 2.30GHz (Thinking of changing it)

16Gb Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G

Lycom PE127 -  (88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller) Support Msata onboard + you can have upto 7 drives

Samsung Evo 850 SSD 500GB

iLo Advance License - Firmware 2:30

Future Plans:

Xeon Processor X3 1265L or 69 watt 1270 etc

Artic Silver 5 (already have)

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i (already bought) - this needs the bracket to be customised a bit for the scews to align up properly.

Test GPU Passthrough - i have a AMD 7750 (when i get time i guess)

I had to use Esxi Customizer to add the .vib drivers to the HP ESXI 6 .ISO and redo the .ISO and install and picks it up right away.

ESXI Customerizer works on Windows 10 just need to edit the .cmd file

source

http://www.p2vme.com/2015/08/esxi-customizer-and-windows-10-fix.html

Resolution: Add a REM at the beginning of line 260 as follows. This will eliminate the Operating System check as it fails on Windows 10
REM if "!WinVer!" LSS "5.1" call :earlyFatal Unsupported Windows Version: !WinVer!. At least Windows XP is required & exit /b 1

I have attached the drivers for the Marvell cards which you will need to add on.

source of drivers.

https://vibsdepot.v-front.de/wiki/index.php/Sata-xahci

i was thinking of changing the rear fan by disconnecting the onboard one and installing one that is powered by Molex to 3 PIn but found the onboard fan really quite and plus its monitored by Ilo.

Q) if I do remove the onboard fan does the system still work?

Q) after installing ESXI on the SSD I want to create a Storage pool on the same drive but its does not pick it up using Vsphere to setup the ESXI, Am i missing something?

I don't have any of the front HDD populated as I have a 8 bay Qnap for mass storage so should not get hot.

Thank

sata-xahci-1.32-1.x86_64.vib.zip

Edited by a5ian300zx

The answer to one of my question if anyone else gets stuck on the same thing. 

If esxi still does not pick up your datastore this is because it has still not picked up the Marvell 88SE9230 chipset so you will need to copy the .vib file on the esxi host (using FTP) and then SSH onto the esxi server using putty and install the drivers. Once installed reboot and it will pick it up. 

again i have attached the .vib drivers if any one needs them

below is the command in ssh considering that you have copied the .vib file to the temp location on the esxi server. type it in manually just to make sure. 

esxcli software vib install -v /tmp/sata-mv-0.1.x86_64.vib

Thanks 

sata-mv-0.1.x86_64.vib.zip

• Like 1

Q) if I do remove the onboard fan does the system still work?

No. iLO will detect a fan failure and shutdown the microserver. It will overheat anyway without a case fan of some kind. Airflow through the PSU fan is minimal so the case fan is required.
  • Like 1

Q) after installing ESXI on the SSD I want to create a Storage pool on the same drive but its does not pick it up using Vsphere to setup the ESXI, Am i missing something?

Why don't you follow the best practice and put the ESXi on SD card or USB stick using the internal port, then use the SSD for datastore?  Short of that you will have to fiddle with partitions manually through the command line

Hi,

I could put esxi on the memory card but I wanted it on the SSD drive personal preference, I did try it on the SD Card.

The Issue was not that, the issue was the Marvell Driver on the expansion card was not reconisged by ESXI so I created a custom ESXI which then picked it up but then won't pickup the SSD drive within ESXI for which I had to manually install the Marvel drivers within ESXI using esxcli. All of that is now working fine. 

The main benefit from having it on SD Card from what I understand is if you have a server failure and have your datastore on say seperate server then you can easily plugin the SD Card with ESxi into another server with SD card slow and reattached the storage pool and your backup and running.

Thanks

The answer to one of my question if anyone else gets stuck on the same thing. 

If esxi still does not pick up your datastore this is because it has still not picked up the Marvell 88SE9230 chipset so you will need to copy the .vib file on the esxi host (using FTP) and then SSH onto the esxi server using putty and install the drivers. Once installed reboot and it will pick it up. 

again i have attached the .vib drivers if any one needs them

below is the command in ssh considering that you have copied the .vib file to the temp location on the esxi server. type it in manually just to make sure. 

esxcli software vib install -v /tmp/sata-mv-0.1.x86_64.vib

Thanks 

Many thanks for this. I was a bit puzzled after fitting my SATA card this morning and no drives being discovered but this has done the trick. At last I have my hardware configured as I wanted it. Time to start creating some virts!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have not upgraded the CPU yet but wanted to know does it really make a real world difference in esxi? Would I see the difference?

I wish it could support 32gb ram as I have around 6 VMs not all powered at once.

I might test Clustering with another VM on my qnap.

Thanks