RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Major Server Issues

Ncage1974

I've been having this issue for almost 2 years at this point and i'm ready to throw this machine in the trash.

Its machine is actually windows server 2012 R2 standard.

The machines primary purpose is a file server. Ever machine thats not windows will fail (samba) when trying to browse the remote shares. Whether it be linux or mac. I will try to remote into machine and the attached image is what i will get. It tells me the time is out of sync which is incorrect. Here is a small powershell script i ran to check the time compared to a local machine:

Script:

Clear-Host

Get-Date

Invoke-Command -ComputerName filesvr -ScriptBlock {Get-Date}

Results:

Friday, October 23, 2015  6:51:28 PM

Friday, October 23, 2015  6:51:28 PM

As you can tell time is in sync

Here is what the machine is running

Stablebit

SEP 12.1.5 (RU5)

Chrome

Classic Shell

....and that is absolutely it

Hardware

Norco case that has 11 hard drives

1 old OCZ vertex 2 for the boot

Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter

Core 2 Quad Q8300

Supermicro MB

LSI SAS3082E-R IBM ServeRAID 

Within the time frame where these issues started i even decided to replace the MB/CPU. I used to be running a Q8400 on an Asus MB. As you can tell i didn't buy a brand new MB/CPU but i don't need much power for this file server.

I've reinstalled the OS MANY MANY times. 

With my previous cpu/mb i replaced the cmos battery

I'm about to give up. What else could i replace that would make a difference? PSU? It just doesn't seem like that could be the issue. I believe my PSU is either a 500 or a 550w.

To be honest if they had anything like stabilebit on linux i'd probably be putting linux on the machine but there isn't anything close to it on linux (greyhole isn't a replacement).

Everything is connected to an internal domain and this is absolutely the only machine thats had this issue. I've scoured the event log every time this happens and really don't see anything

Screenshot from 2015-10-23 18:43:36.png

Is the server and the client set to the same TIME ZONE, forget being set to the correct time.  We all know Windows machines are set to GMT-8 (Pacific Time) by default.  I have seen this make a difference when someone just set the time on the server to match local time rather than changing time zones.

• Like 2

Is the server and the client set to the same TIME ZONE, forget being set to the correct time.  We all know Windows machines are set to GMT-8 (Pacific Time) by default.  I have seen this make a difference when someone just set the time on the server to match local time rather than changing time zones.

Yes sir. I just double checked and they are both set to Central Time.

Oh i also failed to mention that when this issue happens windows clients can browse the file shares just fine so i first noticed when non-windows clients start having issues. If i try to login to the server directly through the console and i enter the correct creds it will spin (you know what you see during the short wait after you enter your creds) forever. If i remote into the machine with powershell using enter-pssession and do a restart-computer -force it will never restart. I end up having to do a hard reset ever time.

I was just thinking of another symptom. Every time i power on the server. It powers for about 5-10 seconds and then it stops. Then it starts again and then it will boot. This has happened with both mb/cpu/memory combinations. Maybe this is a wierd PSU issue?

just going to throw this hat in... as I have seen similar behavior with a mini mac connecting to my windows 2012 R2 file server... for whatever reason it truly is (I believe), I am almost convinced that is it a Samba problem or version issue on that mini mac.

if you google on the SMB problems with mac and windows file servers... you'll see plenty of complaints.

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1714-osx-slow-smb-browsing-of-windows-servers-fixed/

I personally didn't try messing with the smb.conf setup on the mac... but perhaps there is something there?

just going to throw this hat in... as I have seen similar behavior with a mini mac connecting to my windows 2012 R2 file server... for whatever reason it truly is (I believe), I am almost convinced that is it a Samba problem or version issue on that mini mac.

if you google on the SMB problems with mac and windows file servers... you'll see plenty of complaints.

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1714-osx-slow-smb-browsing-of-windows-servers-fixed/

I personally didn't try messing with the smb.conf setup on the mac... but perhaps there is something there?

I appreciate the feedback but unfortunately i don't think that's it. If it was i would be able to remote into the machine from windows (which i can't do when this happens). It isn't only samba access that i have issues with. I also had the following issues:

1. Can't remote into box from a windows machine

2. I can't log in locally when i'm on the machine.

3. Restart-Computer (powershell) won't ever restart the computer 

4. When i start up the computer the power supply runs for 5 seconds and then turns off and then turns back on which then will boot windows normally.

5. When i hard reset the box (turning of power to the power supply) and i turn the machine the power back on the machine will start up without me ever hitting the power button.

I received my new PSU today. I was very impressed with the weight and build quality. I'm happy to report symptoms 4 & 5 are gone. That gives me a LOT of hope since even switching out MB/CPU/Memory didn't solve those issues. Unfortunately i won't know 100% for a month or so but i will report back.

If anyone is curious this is the PSU i had in the box previously:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

that is really odd behavior, but I see what you are saying...  hopefully the PSU does the trick.

i'm guessing you pulled components and tested individually?...  could it be a short on the mainboard?

I reminds me of when we all got bad batches of components with weak capacitors...  easy to check though, that caused some wacky shtuff like this.

Edited by tswalker