RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Storage Spaces

mehtaman

Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience of preserving the storage pool settings, as I wish to reinstall windows server?

Looking online I have seen a few articles stating that the settings are stored on the physical disks.

Is it as simple as remounting the disks and activating the storage pools without loosing any data?

Thank you.

Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience of preserving the storage pool settings, as I wish to reinstall windows server?

Looking online I have seen a few articles stating that the settings are stored on the physical disks.

Is it as simple as remounting the disks and activating the storage pools without loosing any data?

Thank you.

The last time I looked at "Storage Spaces" it was kinda of like a train wreak so I never used it, I am a beleaver in using raid cards for portability and not having to worry about things like your going threw. I would not even use the mother boards built in Raid for anything other then maybe the OS. Anyway like jmwills said, Do you have a good backup of all your data? I would personaly use a third party backup program such as the excellent "Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE" http://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

And create a backup of all your data as a safety net then blow away the OS after you reinstall the OS if your pool does not come back automatically then just restore from the Veeam backup and call it a day :)

FYI I don't trust the built-in Microsoft backup/restore program because it has failed me way to many times, Just saying use a third-party backup program such has Veeam for a successful restore.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thank you.

It was my experience in my early testing of Storage Spaces that it would move as long as I was moving "up" or "across" i.e. Win8 to S2012 or S2012 to S2012E or S2012E to S2012 etc. NOT S2012 to Win8

If I didn't move all the disks SS would lock down until a disk(s) were added so that it could rebuild

BUT, my experience is over a year old on this and more importantly I would strongly suggest you not try anything until you have your system backed up -- as in a 3-2-1 backup strategy

@itGeeks I never released there was a free version of Veeam availbile.
I will definitely look into creating backups before touching the OS.

The data on the storage space is mainly family photo's/video's so it probably is best to backup the data elsewhere.

The only backups I have are of the Windows installation as the server is home setup rather than in a workplace.

Thanks to all for the advice!

@itGeeks I never released there was a free version of Veeam availbile.

I will definitely look into creating backups before touching the OS.

The data on the storage space is mainly family photo's/video's so it probably is best to backup the data elsewhere.

The only backups I have are of the Windows installation as the server is home setup rather than in a workplace.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Your welcome and good luck, Please let us know how it went after your done reinstalling the OS so others can learn what to expect when doing the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

We use Failover Clustering, and Storage Spaces (on 2012 R2) with great effect at different client sites depending on their requirements and whether or not the cash is available for the third server, the SAN and 10GBE core for it all to play nicely.

Storage spaces I must say I have been impressed with, I was hesitant at first but the other guy took it upon himself to implement it and it has been working flawlessly (2xSSD 6xHDD) not quite has fast IMHO as the Failover cluster version, but this is due to replication rather than the storage spaces itself.

VEEAM on the other hand I have used quite a bit, I do get the occasional problems (got two at the moment which I have not got around to fixing as they are not major concerns, just minor annoyances) and I love it. I am in the process of requisitioning cash for my final major site to transition to VEEAM. As itGeeks stated, do not trust WSB or its ilk to unreliable, especially when virtual machines are involved. I must say its restore functions are great, I have had to do two server restores from it due to what I suspect were bad updates to the ADFS and WAP systems at one client (which have now been replaced but that is due to a requirements change) and both were running and working again within 15 minutes. I also test restore a randomly picked VM (well not truly random as I do not use the file server as of the amount of data it entails) every month, so far no issues with restores.