RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone thinking of moving to Aurora

ikon

Since I have a TechNet subscription, and I suspect 'Aurora' will become available on it, I'm thinking it might be a better way to go than Vail. I've had a AD domain at home before and it really made the network easier to manage; it would be nice to have those advantages again. Anyone else considering the same thing?

On the fence. I too had an AD domain at home before. I have to admit I enjoy the simplicity if WHS, so I'm not sure I want to take on all the extra work again. The only thing that really entices me is the fact that there may be Hyper-V in Aurora but not in Vail.

I'll definitely consider it nearer release time. I want to see the final feature list for both products before deciding. I like the simplicity of WHS but the add on services that have been suggested for Aurora look interesting. If it hooks into Windows InTune and/or other cloud services then it might be a better option for power users.

Interesting mroscco. I was thinking AD might makes things easier: no need to duplicate accounts across multiple machines, possibility of using GP to update machines, etc. Course, I guess it depends how many machines there are in your house; I have around 9.

Interesting mroscco. I was thinking AD might makes things easier: no need to duplicate accounts across multiple machines, possibility of using GP to update machines, etc. Course, I guess it depends how many machines there are in your house; I have around 9.

I had a rather large network consisting of about 15-20 machines, some virtual. To be honest, AD can be a bit much. When I moved, and I knew I would need to consolidate, I shrunk everything down. I started using customized Windows installation media and registry files to basically do exactly what GP was doing for me. The only thing that I miss is redirected folders, but Windows 7 has libraries which is almost as good.

I'm also on the fence regarding Vail/Aurora. It'll come down to the feature list once both products actually ship..

I'm in on testing Aurora as soon as I get a spare moment and am done with Vail. Downloaded the software last night.

I plan on testing Aurora but because my funds are limited I think Vail will be my next upgrade and not Aurora. The reason I am saying this is because I would think that Aurora is going to have a higher retail price and the possibility that the Add-ins might cost more. But without a budget cap I would definitely go with Aurora.

Guest no-control

I'll test it. I think it's a great product for the smaller end small business. SBS is just too big for a company with 10 employees.

AD in a home or SOHO environment blows. Too much setup and overhead IMO.

jcollison, do you have a link for downloading Aurora. I am a Technet subscriber, but can't find where to download it. Actually, I can't seem to find any beta software to download.

Mike