RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing Fedora 21 on ML310e

eljay

I would like to install a Fedora 21 Server OS (ultimately, I will be running Amahi 8 OS on top of it) onto my ML310e Gen8 V2 server. I would like to install and run the OS from a 32GB Lexar UHS-1 microSD card I inserted into the internal slot, so that I can keep my 2x2TB HDDs strictly for data.

I disabled the HP Intelligent Provisioning and disabled the RAID B120i controller and enabled AHCI in BIOS. But when I started Fedora install, it can only see the two HDDs, but not the microSD card.

What am I doing wrong here? How can I make the microsd card available for OS install?

Thanks.

Its not easy (or recommended) to run a "proper" OS from SD card.

Most Linux expect to run from a proper disk - the SD card (and onboard USB socket) are for embedded applications.

e.g. ESXi, FreeNAS, Xpenology.

I see. Yes, I just did some more reading and it sounds like I should get a small SSD instead. :(

Is it possible to boot off an SSD in this server without the B120i RAID controller enabled?

I've read that it always wants to boot off the first HDD and I hope I don't have to lose one HDD slot.

I use the B120i and ESXi on my ML310e v2, but as far as I know, the ODD port on the motherboard is the same as the micro server in that you can't boot from it with SSD.

Might be easier to put in a new SATA controller to run the 4 front bays and use the B120i first port via a forward breakout cable for a boot SSD.

This could give you 4 x 6gbps  hot swap bays on the front and a 6gbps SSD port.

This thread may be useful: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10042-startech-controller-for-boot-ssd/

Well, that's disappointing. It looks like that will cost me another $120

- card: http://search.ncix.com/products/?sku=IM52355T

- cable: http://www.ncix.com/detail/lsi-3ware-multi-lane-internal-4b-36842.htm

So, there's no other way to boot from SSD and keep the 4x front bays, correct?

I thought that I could use this server out of box and put Fedora on it. :(

Is it possible to disconnect the existing SATA cable from the first HDD bay in the drive cage and connect SSD to it and then connect the SATA 6 port from the board to the first bay HDD connector?

That way I could tuck away the SSD under the ODD and my first HDD bay would essentially be SATA 6.

What kind of an adapter would I need?

Is it possible to disconnect the existing SATA cable from the first HDD bay in the drive cage and connect SSD to it and then connect the SATA 6 port from the board to the first bay HDD connector?

That way I could tuck away the SSD under the ODD and my first HDD bay would essentially be SATA 6.

In theory it is possible but that'd be a mess of cables + adapters. It probably won't be cheap either once you've added up all the various parts since you need a SFF-8087 plug to discrete SATA plug forward breakout cable and a discrete SATA socket to SFF-8087 reverse breakout socket cable.

The SD slot is actually USB based so it is the Fedora installer that is refusing to install to it. The server itself doesn't care and will happily boot from the SD card if you can get an OS on there.

In theory it is possible but that'd be a mess of cables + adapters. It probably won't be cheap either once you've added up all the various parts since you need a SFF-8087 plug to discrete SATA plug forward breakout cable and a discrete SATA socket to SFF-8087 reverse breakout socket cable.

And SATA1/2 are 6gbps, the others are all 3gbps, which will affect your array performance.

If you want to do it really cheap, you could get a generic SATA card that has a bootable BIOS on it and try that.

Put the ML310 into AHCI mode and hopefully the boot controller order will let you set the generic as 1st adapter for boot.

Ive got such a card in the attic so could try it, but won't get the chance to get up there until the weekend though...

The SD slot is actually USB based so it is the Fedora installer that is refusing to install to it. The server itself doesn't care and will happily boot from the SD card if you can get an OS on there.

you could probably install something like Slax Linux on the SD if you really wanted to, but I wouldn't trust the longevity of an SD card when an OS is installed on it...

I see. Thanks.

So, if I get the SATA card linked above, do I then unplug the cable that connects the 4 bays to the single plug on the motherboard and connect that end to the SFF-8087 plug on the SATA PCI card via a reverse cable? ? I have the 4-bay non-hot-plug cage.

Sorry for the elementary questions, it's been about 8 years since I last built a PC, so I'm not up to speed on the latest standards.