RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to Install Vail on VirtualBox

mysticgeek

Love it. Last night I set up Vail and then used Virtual Box to run a Windows client right on Vail. Server and test PC in one. It works great and I would recommend it to anyone who wants easy virtualization. Thank for the write up!

Great write up. I have just finished my virtual build using VMWare 6.5. The basics:

Host: Dell XPS M1530

Software: VMWare 6.5

Disk: External Seagate 7200 RPM 160 gig hard drive (OS was allocated 60 gigs)

Memory: 2 gigs allocated to Vail (Host has 4 total)

Networking: Bridged to the physical network

Total Time: About 90 minutes

Clients: One physical box running Windows 7 Enterprise x86

Updates: 31 waiting for me immediately.

Issues: Only one when trying to connect the client. The connector failed when trying to run directly from the server (for whatever reason) so I downloaded the connector software to the client desktop and ran from there. Badda Bing, Badda Boom (watching too much Cake Boss) all is good in Vail land.

The new Dashboard is nice.....streamlined.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a VM setup on my Win7 Pro machine of WHS v2 (VAIL) with no issues but my brother (fredpie in the forums) had a problem where he would install WHS v2 Beta in his Virtual Box VM and it would reboot without any problems but after a week it would stop working. Any one else have issues? I don't share the same issue but thought I would check?

Edited by G. WadeTech

Great write up. I have just finished my virtual build using VMWare 6.5. The basics:

Host: Dell XPS M1530

Software: VMWare 6.5

Disk: External Seagate 7200 RPM 160 gig hard drive (OS was allocated 60 gigs)

Memory: 2 gigs allocated to Vail (Host has 4 total)

Networking: Bridged to the physical network

Total Time: About 90 minutes

Clients: One physical box running Windows 7 Enterprise x86

Updates: 31 waiting for me immediately.

Issues: Only one when trying to connect the client. The connector failed when trying to run directly from the server (for whatever reason) so I downloaded the connector software to the client desktop and ran from there. Badda Bing, Badda Boom (watching too much Cake Boss) all is good in Vail land.

The new Dashboard is nice.....streamlined.

Now that you mention it, I think I had to copy the Connector to my client as well when I set this up.

• 2 months later...

Also a tip for your guys. Enabling 3D Hardware Acceleration with the fulkl 128MB for graphics REALLY speeds up any virtualized OS in VirtualBox. Also consider dedicating more than one core on your CPU if you want better performance.

• 3 months later...

Trying to install and I get this error.

No physical memory available at the location to start install....

How much memory is in the PC? How many other Virtual machines are running? Are you using Windows 7 as the base OS? How much memory is Windows 7 using?