RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS & Extensible Firmware Interface

Canned Heat

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if WHS supports (UEFI) Extensible Firmware Interface?

I do recall Win 2003 ia64 supporting it, but was not sure on WHS?

Like to know in the future if I can boot off something larger than 2TB if needed aswell.

(Spose Vail will help us there)

Do you guys enable it in the bios?

THX :)

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if WHS supports (UEFI) Extensible Firmware Interface?

I do recall Win 2003 ia64 supporting it, but was not sure on WHS?

Like to know in the future if I can boot off something larger than 2TB if needed aswell.

(Spose Vail will help us there)

Do you guys enable it in the bios?

Hmm.. dunno about the support, but why would you want to boot off from something larger than 2 TB on WHS?

Waste of space, since system-partition can't be used for data-storage, and WHS doesn't like RAID anyway.. Unless you have come up with something cool, incase i want to hear about it :D

Hmm.. dunno about the support, but why would you want to boot off from something larger than 2 TB on WHS?

Waste of space, since system-partition can't be used for data-storage, and WHS doesn't like RAID anyway.. Unless you have come up with something cool, incase i want to hear about it :D

I always thought that once the storage pool was full it would start writing to the drive Main (Sys) drive (After the system Partion)

Example: The 1.8TB Extended Partion after the Primary WHS 20 GB one?

The other ? was just a future proof one, for when the larger capacity Drives come out? (Then there is the Advanced Formatting issue if aplicable on WHS 1.0) if the drives require it to be used to enhance capacity after the 2TB....

With the Raid? You Made me laugh, will never use it myself on WHS.

Now that is Wild,

Thanks for the reply Kermi have a good Weekend.

Edit; Getting myself off topic, Should I Enable UEFI or Disable?

Edited by Canned Heat

I always thought that once the storage pool was full it would start writing to the drive Main (Sys) drive (After the system Partion)

Example: The 1.8TB Extended Partion after the Primary WHS 20 GB one?

Nope. Managed to test this myself, wíth the later mentioned WD EARS drives, when i had to pull them out the server to do some jumper magic on them.

I basicly had barely enough space (after deleting about 60GB of stuff..) to empty 1 TB drive to the other two 1 TB drives i had in. After which the server started to complain about being low on free space. So once storage pool runs out, you're out of storage space.

Edit; Getting myself off topic, Should I Enable UEFI or Disable?

Sorry to say, but i don't have an answer for that. Personally i don't see any need for it, in the lifetime of my WHS(v1) box.

Thanks Again Kermi,

WOW, thanks for clearing that storage issue up,

Should of put a 500GB drive on the system. SATA 0

But then again doesnt WHS install to the biggest and fastest drive Automatically?

Thanks Again Kermi,

np:)

But then again doesnt WHS install to the biggest and fastest drive Automatically?

Hmm.. no clue actually. I'm fairly certain there's some automagy involved in the install process that partitions off the drive to 20 GB c: drive and puts rest to D:.

But the guys who've actually built one will be of more use here :D

• 2 months later...

Cool.

My thread has become current,

Looks Like the Gigabyte board is on the way out?

Still love WDEARS @ that pricepoint though!

Great Podcast last week too!!! thanks Guys!

Edited by Canned Heat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

My first post to the forum.

I ran across this web link today regarding UEFI from ASUS using 'Sandy Bridge' (yet to be released) motherboard.

Granted it is in Swedish, but the pictures are worth looking at.

http://www.techspot.com/news/40984-asus-motherboard-with-uefi-demoed-on-video.html

No details on the how to make all this work together, but I'm sure more to c :) ome.

THX