RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
wrouffa

Windows 10 Restore from WHS V1 Backup

wrouffa

I require some guidance.

I own an HP MediaSmart Server running WHS V1.  In addition I have a series of computers which I backup to the server on a regular basis.  Recently I upgraded two of then from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I was able to successfully install the connected software and have continued to run backups with no issues.  I now need to access some of the backups.  When I try to restore (manage) a backup on the server it goes through the normal "opening" process but at the end when the file explorer window pops open, it flashes open momentarily and then closes.  I'm guessing this is an issue with Windows 10 and the new File Explorer. 

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might proceed to access the backups?

thanks!

Technogod

Does it exhibit the same symptom when opening backups on another computer with an OS other than Windows 10? 

wrouffa

unfortunately without running a reinstall of windows 7 I don't have one available to test that. 

Drashna Jaelre

Do you have a Z:\ drive on the system?

Also, ... it may be that the driver for file restore is not compatible with Windows 10.  Nothing can be done about that, at this point.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• sallai97
      By sallai97
      Greetings!

I've looked up a lot of topics about this, but i've always find the half of the answers to my questions. I guess it's an unusual situation this time...

I would like to install windows 10 to my server in AHCI mode but without intelligent provisioning (it's died while upgrading it so there is no option to use it, that's another topic).
      I'm able to boot the windows installer from iLO remote console but it cannot find the hdd driver. I've tried with few drivers, but no luck.
      When the raid controller is the selected controller (the raid would be perfect too), the installer doesn't boot up.

Parameters/facts:
      -AHCI mode on( the installer is boots up in this mode only)
      - No intelligent provisioning
      -HP smart array won't load either
      -2 hdd

Questions:
      -This concept is possible?
      -If yes, the raid is possible without IP and HP smart array?
      -Is this will be easier with VMware esxi?

Thanks in advance!

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      the selection and quality of the windows 10 store apps   has taken a turn for the better in the last few months

Software publishers have started to load in their win32 apps  in the Store

The big one is  Itunes  of course.    I dont use Itunes per se but a program I use ( mediamonkey)  requires it to be installed to sync to Ipods and Iphones

The big advantage of loading in Itunes this way  is that it leaves behind all the other crud  ( apple updater, Bonjour etc) and just does Itunes

But there are several others that I have used and can recommend.  In some cases the author asks for a small fee for the program via the store.  but you can install on any  of devices hooked into your account and updates are handled thru the MS update process

Paint.net  a solid paint/photoshop type program.  Very good program that I have used for many years.    This is the program that should have replaced MS Paint, rather than the POS  Paint 3D

Libre Office   full featured office suite -  fork of the openoffice project  solid program  more like MS Office than the google office suite.  One of my daughters went to school using this and wrote her PHD thesis with it.  

Irfranview  Lightweight handy image viewer/editor.     I have used this program for over 20 years !!!!     If I need to just crop or lighten an image to paste into another document,  this is what I use.   

Inkscape   open source Vector drawing program -    similar to Adobe Illustrator  and visio     dont use this program often  but  since visio isnt part of the standard office 365 package,  a good program to have loaded up 

Autodesk CAD Mobile    Dont confuse this for a full featured CAD program , but for viewing and marking DWG files or creating simple CAD profiles,  this free program works fine

Please feel free to pass along other useful items you found in the windows store

• JackoUK
      By JackoUK
      After 2 disk failures … and the W10 April update … and the first patch Tuesday …
      … I've been spending a lot of time moving data and testing this past 2 weeks.

I prompted the so called '1803 feature update' immediately it was available via Windows Update, having prepared via Insider test builds.
      The process went through slowly but steadily on all my machine types … which you will see from my signature are all pretty old and low powered devices.
      There was a vestigial File Explorer item which once closed left everything intact bar the usual window rearrangement/prompts $MSFT likes to make to File Explorer and Edge.
      Oh and the usual additional forcing tactics e.g. you see a yellow warning flag on the defender security notification icon if you are logged on to a local account rather than a Microsoft email account. 

Only 1 bug to speak of - I have not experienced the problems others have been reporting in the press.
      The HOMEGROUP feature has been removed from this release with a likely side effect: other network machines and their shared file systems no longer appear under Network Places.
      They are accessible but one has to type the machine name in the File Explorer address bar e.g. \\HPMICROSERVER5 to start any action.
      Since I have been moving lots of files around I have also noticed that the network is not as stable as before: a remote shared area can be accessible one minute but not the next.

No showstoppers for me (famous last words).

• steeve
      By steeve
      History: 
      Currently have N40 which I used to backup my laptop to using Crashplan (as well as to Crashplan cloud), replaced Crashplan with Backblaze when CP removed consumer backup, but BB does not have a local backup.

Current:
      Have a Gen8 which I am in the process of transitioning to and would like to have local/lan backup of my laptop (plus other PCs) to my server.

I have previously tried Cobien, but had issues with it backing up over a network, constant fails.
      Also looked at rsync, but concerned it is very old and unsupported.

Question:
      Can someone recommend software I could run on my laptop to backup to my server, would be ok with software on server to receive backup as well.

Note: I realize this isn't strictly a Gen8 issue, but as this is far and away the most popular forum I thought I'd try my luck here.

Thanks for any help/advice people can offer.
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Synology C2 Backup Now Available to US Customers

This is a data backup service that Synology released to EU customers last year.  I remember trying to get it to install and it wouldn't take my CC# because of location.  Fair enough, will it now and how much will it cost?

Seriously, how much is it?  Ask Google and on March 25th, 2018 it's $14.12.  That's still not a bad price for 100Gb of backup with versioning. Also not bad to consider this as a secondary cloud backup.  (See below for pricing)

One thing to keep in mine this is a service that falls under Hyper Backup and not Cloud Sync.  The two are very different.  This will be a true back with versioning and not a simple synchronization of a folder in a cloud service like dropbox.  Many a mistake have been made with sync pairs and cloud services!  That won't happen with backup and versions.

Enable it and Back Up

In your Synology DSM go to Hyper Backup. Install if you are not using it.  You would also use this app to backup to USB, Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, etc.
      Select Synology C2 Cloud Backup.

That should launch a login portal.  If you have used Synology services before and have a login you can use those credentials or create credentials right here.

Start your free trial for 30 days but prices are still in POUNDS!  That's a pound symbol right?  If it was released to Europe why isn't it in Euros? I'm so confused.    (it is Euro Dave!  I had a brain fart on the Euro symbol.  See response post below.  Embarrassingly laughing at myself on this!)

It's here where it wouldn't let me proceed last time I tried due to it being a limited trial to EU customers only.  You have to put your CC# in to get the 30 day free trial.  It says i'm in the Europe Frankfort market but the purchase went through.  So, does this mean if the US sinks into the Ocean and all my data goes with it, my photos will be in Frankfort safe and sound?  Sweet!

This is the last web screen I see as it has now taken me back to Hyper Backup.

I'm going to choose a small amount to get started with.

I'm also going to limit the bandwidth of the backup and set Client Side encryption.  The encryption password box will allow you to use the Admin account password so you don't forget what you put here unless your Admin password is less than 8 characters.

Once you are finished it will ask you if you want to backup now. I said now just to keep the network clean while I'm working but it will backup tonight.  Look at the screen shot below.  See the little arrow by Synology C2?  That is the link to the web portal.  It would be nice to see Synology integrate this into DSM so there isn't a secondary screen needed.  It would also be nice to have some choice as to where your data is being sent and to be charged a proper amount.  I'm afraid my bank might also charge me a fee for the Pounds to USD conversion.  I'll update the post when I find out.

Here are the web portal screens below.

That's it.  It works!