RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Disk recommandations Hyper-V Core server

Mikael Juul

Hi there,

I'm going to setup a small home server, running a Hyper-V 2012 R2 Core as host.

I have 2 x SATA 600 and 2 x SATA 300 available on my mainboard, and let's pretend i don't have any harddrives yet - how would you setup the disks ?

Should it be the OS HOST on a small SSD disk on sata 300 or 600 and can VHD files be on the same disk, or should they be on a different disk and what kind of disk speed etc. etc.?

Please let me hear your suggestions on this - in first place i don't care about raid etc. for data loss prevention, i just want the virtual machines to preform as fast as possible

Thanks

Mikael ​

If you want the VM's to perform as fast as possible then you do indeed want RAID.  A smallish (60gig) spinner would be fine for the OS.

Best practice would be to have the VHDs on a disk(s) separate from the OS Host

A smallish VelociRaptor would be great for the OS and you can find great prices at places like GoHardDrive that has VelociRaptors relabeled "White Label" as well as VelociRaptors 

For my VHDs disk I would go SATA III (s) with 2 or more VRs or SSDs in RAID0 http://homeservershow.com/performance-using-ssds-for-vm-drives-in-home-hyper-v-server-on-ga-z77x-ud5h.html 

Here is my performance study using 1 to 4 VRs -- which gets pretty impressive for little $ IMO http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5903-performance-tests-wd1500hlhx/#entry65514

Edited by Joe_Miner
  • Like 1

I use a small(ish) spinning drive for my system disk.  Then I use a 500GB SSD for the VMs.  Works great.  RAID isn't necessary, just a very fast SSD. (NVMe drives would be better, if the board supports it)

• 2 months later...

A smallish VelociRaptor would be TERRIBLE for the OS.

The cheapest, smallest drive you have lying around, that could still be considered reliable, would be great for the OS.

Hyper-V host does almost zero disk activity after it has booted.

If you are going to have a separate drive just for the Hyper-V host OS, it does NOT need to be anything special.

AND if you didn't have a VelociRaptor lying around and had to buy one, you would be better served with an SSD anyway.

In fact, forget VelociRaptors altogether, even for the VM storage.

They just don't have enough IOPS to be considered a cost effective upgrade from a 7200rpm drive.

Maybe if you were running a large array of them from a good controller, but that just escalates the costs even more.

And since you only have 2 SATA3 ports, you are most likely running these off an Intel mainboard controller.

Just get an SSD and be done with it.

If you can get a single, good, fast, large SSD, you may as well run the Hyper-V Host and the VMs from the same SSD:

• SATA3 (600)  -  1x SSD  -  OS + VMs

Depending on your setup, that is probably going to suffice. It all depends on your workload, what you consider fast, and how crazy you are.

For my development environment, where I can be running a dozen windows VM's simultaneously and want all the power I can get, I use RAID0 arrays of SSD's.

But unless you are pushing lots of IOPS and/or high disk queue lengths all the time, it's pretty pointless.