RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L No video output - no blue status light

RyDane

Hi all

I've had a N40L microserver running like a dream as a HTPC for over 3 years now.

Randomly the other day the video would not 'wake up', I powered down the machine and tried to power it back up. It powers up, the power light goes from orange to green, the red 'hp' logo flickers on briefly, and where as before it would go a solid blue, there are no lights at all. It sounds like it's doing something, but i've tried both the low profile video card output and the onboard VGA and nothing.

I've tried a couple of things I've seen on other threads and by way of searches - unplugging the MiniSAS, unplugging and reseating all the hardware, tried resetting the CMOS (not that I really had any idea what I was doing) but no luck.

Is it dead? Do I need to be looking at ordering a Gen8 or is there a relatively easy fix?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi jmwills

no, my router does not recognize the microserver as being on the network so I guess it's falling down well before that point!

If your router can't even see the device on the network how could it not be a network issue?  Can you ping the device?  Have you run a trace route?

because I dont believe the server is booting up to the stage where it would connect to a network

It was my understanding that the blue status light only comes on if the system successfully boots, therefore no blue light would suggest to me something else is wrong

I don't remember if they do or not, is there a speaker on the Microservers?  Sounds like something is failing during POST and if the video isn't coming online, then the next way to tell what is through the beeps the computer makes.  If there's not a speaker then there still may be a header that you can connect one to.

Once I've seen a card that plugs into a PCI port that shows the POST codes for diagnostics.  Beyond that, it does sound like something has failed and since you can't replace parts on the Mainboard (other than RAM) I suspect that you will need to be looking at replacing the server itself.

Thanks Andne

There is no beeps, and that was my suspicion just wanted some confirmation!

It's 'served' me well for 3 years - was probably due an upgrade

You tried powering it from another PC PSU? Any bulging capacitors anywhere on the board? The top of the can should be flat but if it is bulging or the pressure release notches are split then they've gone bad.