RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 Post boot Time

cypher

Hi,

Is there any optimisations that can be applied to the Gen8 Microserver to speed up the POST time at all ??

I have an N36L and I can be boot the server including OS (FreeNas on a USB stick) quicker than the Gen8 even finishes its Post sequence.

Sequence of events

Press the power button (green light comes on the fan starts)

after a couple of seconds it powers off again, waits approx 5 seconds and powers back on automatically (this happens twice even before it will consider starting the first stage of the POST) - is this normal ??

Looking at the screen (it runs headless most of the time) it seems to do some sort of PCI \ CPU check this also appears to happen 2 or 3 times (even though the information on the screen seems to think it has passed the check)

There is then some "HP Bitmap Image" where a further series of checks and options takes p[lace (RAID, Network, HP genuine memory etc)

After this it then will start the boot sequence from the primary device (in my instance a USB drive) and the OS then starts

It all works OK, its just the POST time is over 3 minutes before it even starts to l;oad the OS, which is considerable when comparing it to the N36L.

Thanx

When HP launched the Gen8 Microserver they made it a real Proliant Server. Loading all of the BIOS featrues, iLo and checking the 'Sea of Sensors' takes time. The N series microservers were a much simpler design.

Of course an IT guy generally responds to this question with, 'you only boot it once!'  :)

Is there any optimisations that can be applied to the Gen8 Microserver to speed up the POST time at all ??

No. Fast POST is generally not high up there as a requirement for servers as you rarely shut them down.

Press the power button (green light comes on the fan starts)

after a couple of seconds it powers off again, waits approx 5 seconds and powers back on automatically (this happens twice even before it will consider starting the first stage of the POST) - is this normal ??

That only happens when you first plug it in IIRC.

Looking at the screen (it runs headless most of the time) it seems to do some sort of PCI \ CPU check this also appears to happen 2 or 3 times (even though the information on the screen seems to think it has passed the check)

The early initialisation stage happens twice with what appears to be a restart after the first truncated startup. It is normal.

It all works OK, its just the POST time is over 3 minutes before it even starts to l;oad the OS, which is considerable when comparing it to the N36L.

As schoondoggy mentioned, the Microserver Gen8 is now based on Proliant server technology so has a custom HP chipset, a management controller i.e. iLO and a Proliant server firmware. This means there is a lot more going on behind the scenes unlike the N36L which is basically a generic PC in a small box. The N36L BIOS is setup to boot as fast as possible and skip as much as it can.

Thanks guys for the fast replies,

This will be running as a NAS and therfore the majority of the day (at work) and at night (sleeping) it wont be used so I am looking to use some form of hibination to 'shut down' the server, hopefully waking up from a hibinated state will be quicker (to be tested) and I'll be using some form of Debian OS.

Understand the reasons behind it a little more now, thatnx for the great explanantions

This will be running as a NAS and therfore the majority of the day (at work) and at night (sleeping) it wont be used so I am looking to use some form of hibination to 'shut down' the server, hopefully waking up from a hibinated state will be quicker (to be tested) and I'll be using some form of Debian OS.

You'll have to test that. I suspect it'll still be slow assuming hibernate works. When I last checked, the Microserver Gen8 was missing ACPI suspend to RAM so you can't use sleep mode.

Hibernate works but still takes a couple minutes for the startup before it actually gets around to loading the saved state.

Edited by GotNoTime

Its more of a case of its been patched together for the last 20 years by hp

than its doing anything special

A HP bios isnt in the same league as an ami/award bios

Its more of a case of its been patched together for the last 20 years by hp

than its doing anything special

A HP bios isnt in the same league as an ami/award bios

So, I have typed and erased many responses to your post,,,

In my opinion, you are wrong.

So, I have typed and erased many responses to your post,,,

In my opinion, you are wrong.

With all the respect you deserve and in no way is this an insult, but you just cannot simply say: "You are wrong!"

In my opinion, the fair answer should be: "You are wrong and this is why:..."

That being said, I would really like to know your opinion on this matter.

Thank you for your time.

With all the respect you deserve and in no way is this an insult, but you just cannot simply say: "You are wrong!"

In my opinion, the fair answer should be: "You are wrong and this is why:..."

That being said, I would really like to know your opinion on this matter.

Thank you for your time.

IMO you are right!  :)

I will formulate a response, later. My daughter has a soccer game and my poor efforts to type are worse:

ybR89M.jpg

As you surely know, a post on a forum doesn't automatically warrant a response. That being said, of course you don't need to respond at all.

Your main concern now should be to focus on getting better, not to answer to some complete stranger on the internet :)

All the best!

• Like 1