RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
flipper

Xpenology on Gen8

sal

It should be possible to move Xpenology to a different hardware, AFAIK Linux is picky on hardware if you move already installed instance, not to mention this is modified distribution. Being a VMWare/Windows admin and complete Linux noob i prefer not to have to deal with that.

AFAIK the E3-1265L allows for the default passive heatsink to be kept as its 45W TDP vs the Celeron's 35W TDP, it might cause lauder fan at load but I will check and see.

• Like 1

GotNoTime

It should be possible to move Xpenology to a different hardware, AFAIK Linux is picky on hardware if you move already installed instance, not to mention this is modified distribution.

Server/desktop Linux is very good at moving between hardware. It is embedded Linux images such as DSM that may be difficult but that is down to the necessary drivers for your new hardware not being bundled in the stripped down firmware to save space.

E3-1265L allows for the default passive heatsink to be kept as its 45W TDP vs the Celeron's 35W TDP

Kind of. The heatsink is rated for 35W so you are exceeding it when using a 45W TDP CPU. The new SKU i3 Microserver has exactly the same hardware except for the CPU obviously and a new uprated 55W heatsink which is significantly larger, in two sections and has a heatpipe joining the sections.

That said, I'm running my Microserver with a 1265Lv2 with the stock 35W heatsink and I've not noticed any problems at all. It is still on the default cooling profile as well.

Edited by GotNoTime

flipper

Well, I managed to install Xpenology on my gen8, but I have a few questions. Under ESXi, my 3To WD green HDD has 980Mo that are not available even if there is no Virtual machine created. Is it normal ? 

I didn't manage to install the DSM DSM 5.2-5592 update 4. Is it normal (I have an error at the verification of the update file)

Bonus question, is it possible to modify the model of nas for xpenology (Actually a DS3615xs), but this point is a detail

GotNoTime

Under ESXi, my 3To WD green HDD has 980Mo that are not available even if there is no Virtual machine created.

The old C# vSphere client can't create > 2TB VMDKs. You have to do it from the command line using vmkfstools or connect to the ESXi host using a recent version of Workstation. The proper method is to use the vSphere Web Client but that requires a paid vSphere license and a licensed vCenter.

CaptainFred

I didn't manage to install the DSM DSM 5.2-5592 update 4. Is it normal (I have an error at the verification of the update file)

Bonus question, is it possible to modify the model of nas for xpenology (Actually a DS3615xs), but this point is a detail

Yes I've got that. I can't update it. I think that's because it's not really synology. What I want to know is how I get rid of the 1 on the control panel icon for the update. I've turned off auto updates checking etc.

Also I'm guessing the model no is because it's a fake DS3615xs.

CaptainFred

The heatsink is rated for 35W so you are exceeding it when using a 45W TDP CPU. The new SKU i3 Microserver has exactly the same hardware except for the CPU obviously and a new uprated 55W heatsink which is significantly larger, in two sections and has a heatpipe joining the sections.

That said, I'm running my Microserver with a 1265Lv2 with the stock 35W heatsink and I've not noticed any problems at all. It is still on the default cooling profile as well.

Interesting.. would be good to take a look at that heatsink.

What temp / fan speed to you typically get with that CPU? Must be higher surely...

GotNoTime

What temp / fan speed to you typically get with that CPU? Must be higher surely...

Under minimal load, the fan is 15% and iLO claims the CPU is 40C. I've never seen the CPU temperature reading go below 40C but it does go higher so I don't think a stable 40C is an accurate reading for no/low CPU load. Inlet is 19C and exhaust is 39C. I do have a P222 card installed.

Interesting.. would be good to take a look at that heatsink.

HP PN #832667-001

flipper

is it possible to dedicate one of the two Network adapter to the xpenology VM (I have a VT-D processor, the 1265l v2) in ESXi ? How to do that ?

sal

Yes I've got that. I can't update it. I think that's because it's not really synology. What I want to know is how I get rid of the 1 on the control panel icon for the update. I've turned off auto updates checking etc.

Also I'm guessing the model no is because it's a fake DS3615xs.

You won't be able to install anything from the official Synology (updates included) unless you manually download it, until you have a valid S/N: which is paired with the MAC address of the NIC. There are ways to generate them explained in the Xpenology forums (better details in the Russian section), but i'm not going to link them as it's not exactly legal. It's not recommended to apply updates that are not validated by the Xpenology guys.

I don't know how to get rid of the red 1, nor change the model, but the model is irrelevant, why would you want to change it?

is it possible to dedicate one of the two Network adapter to the xpenology VM (I have a VT-D processor, the 1265l v2) in ESXi ? How to do that ?

You have to create 2 vSwitches with 1 physical NIC connected to each of them, then create a separate VMNetwork only connected to the 2nd vSwitch and connect the Xpenology VM vNIC to the 2nd vSwitch. But why would you want to do that? ESXi is doing great job at load balancing 2 NICs. Do you have them connected to 2 separate physical networks?

flipper

No, only one physical network, but I tested the download station to DL a debian ISO, to test the speed, and it is not constant, it goes up to 15-20Mo/s, and the to 0, and up and down...I don't know where it comes from. Xpenology is the only VM running on ESXi.