RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

A few setup questions

CaptainFred

Surely that's just the one I've got highlighted at the top of the screen?

"It will show it in the small box in the lower left corner also." and scorpi2ok2 put a red box around it for you as well in the screenshot.

Yes, I see.. but really it should say "Dynamic HP Smart Array B120i RAID Support Enabled" if it is rather than "Enable Dynamic HP Smart Array B120i RAID Support" as it's confusing. The wording makes me (at least) think thats it's not enabled and I need to pick it to enable it (which I haven't picked any of these options yet).

Ok, so somehow XPenology managed to create the SHR on the drives without any RAID being setup on them!

The B120 "RAID" controller is the Intel SATA controller inside the chipset but with a HP firmware and driver. Xpenology doesn't have the driver so it is bypassing everything and talking to the Intel SATA controller directly in AHCI mode.

Ah got it !

So there is really only one controller, which can be in B120i "RAID" mode or AHCI ?

Wondering if I should create RAID 0's on each drive (individually). Just want to get rid of the message that the B120i isn't configured really.

Edited by CaptainFred

So there is really only one controller, which can be in B120i "RAID" mode or AHCI ?

Yes.

B120i = Intel SATA controller with HP firmware + driver pretending to be a RAID controller.

AHCI = Intel SATA controller in native mode.

Legacy = Intel SATA controller pretending to be an IDE controller from 20 years ago.

Wondering if I should create RAID 0's on each drive (individually). Just want to get rid of the message that the B120i isn't configured really.

You can setup single drive RAID 0 arrays for each drive or assuming you're not using the ODD port to boot from, you can switch it to AHCI mode.

You should be able to swap between B120i + single drive RAID 0 arrays to/from AHCI mode without data loss but you should backup before doing so just in case.

• Like 1

Or you could just put it into straight AHCI mode and be done with it.

That is what I did and it s working well. Seems easier as I don't use raid

Envoyé de mon LG-D855 en utilisant Tapatalk

Yes but as I said before, there seems to be pluses and minuses to both.... (from what I've read here)

• AHCI = drives can spin down, save power, but higher fan speed and not sure whether NAS HDs should, like the WD reds, as it could cause them to fail quicker. Although my array is made up of 6TB WD reds and 3TB Seagate 7200RPM drives
  • RAID0 each drive = can't spin down, lower fan speed

Am I right?

Edited by CaptainFred