RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

A few setup questions

CaptainFred

Ah I see. Well didn't save it in my case... although don't think it was a head crash. It was making clunking noises and wasn't even seen on any machine. Also these drives have a high failure rate. At least seagate are trying to make drives more reliable I suppose.

How old is the drive?

If you don't mind me asking what model number is it?

ST3000DM001

What you thinking?

Btw I've taken it apart removed the platters and bent them in various directions with pliers and scratched them a bit... no chance of anyone getting any data off them is there?

Btw I've taken it apart removed the platters and bent them in various directions with pliers and scratched them a bit... no chance of anyone getting any data off them is there?

If you are have taken the disk apart, take out the pair of neodimyum magnets from the head actuator assembly, sandwich the platter between them so the magnets are touching the surface and turn the platter between them. That should degauss the platters quite thoroughly. You may need tools the separate the magnets before applying them to the next platter.

• Like 1

If you are have taken the disk apart, take out the pair of neodimyum magnets from the head actuator assembly, sandwich the platter between them so the magnets are touching the surface and turn the platter between them. That should degauss the platters quite thoroughly. You may need tools the separate the magnets before applying them to the next platter.

I'll remember that for next time as thrown that bit away already.

Surely bent scratched platters would be quite impossible to get data off? They are almost folded in half and half again. I was rough with them too!