RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

3D printing a custom case for 5.25 inch drive - yes very much Gen8 related!

Crizco-ok

Hi Everyone

One thing i like about the Gen8 is that it stacks (I have 2). I have seen the complimentary HP switch and router and wondered about custom 3D case.

I came across this drive bay this evening:

4 x 2.5inch SATA Hot Swap into 1 x 5.25inch Drive Bay - http://r.ebay.com/hF7fII

It would be ideal if someone could design / print a complimenting case that would take a 5.25inch drive and sit underneath the Gen8 server.

Any ideas? And anyone out there with the skill?

If only the G8 came with an eSATA port. Major oversight on this model. :-(

It's not an oversight, eSATA is not something you can find on servers in general. If you want to connect external disk enclosure use a SAS controller. If you want a single disk - use USB.

Sure, but that doesn't make it sensible. The reason why you don't find it is because the server vendors want to sell you SAS controllers.

Now, I know SAS controllers can be had for the price of a pint on ebay (sold two 8-port LSIs for less recently), but it's handy to not lose the one slot on it. And in my experience, SATA controllers on the whole are a lot less problematic and less prone to hardware bugs and consequences thereof than SAS ones. :-(

Speaking of which - does the SATA port on the G8 support FIS based switching for port multipliers?

Edited by gordan

If you don't like SAS, put a SATA controller with eSATA, If you need more than 1 PCI-E slot and more than 5-6 drives, i'm afraid you bought the wrong product, should have picked the ML10 instead, it's even cheaper. If you want out of the box eSATA, buy a desktop.

• 2 weeks later...

This may work;

IFxdr1.jpg

I am building a model to see if it is feasible and manufacture-able. So far it so good! I need to carve out the stacking area on top and add the stacking area to the bottom. 

• Like 1

If 13 year old schoondoggy could see this model, he would be very sad that 54 year old shoondoggy had let his model making skills deteriorate!

eS5GTK.jpg

But, I think this may work. Now I need to work on my FreeCAD skills! 

Crizco-ok you need to work on a product name:

Crizco Storage Pod

Crizco Stackable Storage

• Like 1