RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Log Files

Poppapete

3 days ago my backups on 4 clients were Incomplete and then Unsuccessful. I rebooted the server. Via Aministrative Tools I started  the backupservice and tried a manual backups on 2 clients.  One stopped at 11% and the other at 25%.  I have opened the client backup log but it is above my pay grade, amateur.

I have attached said file and would be grateful if any one can give me a clue to the problem!

backup-100615.txt

Poppapete

More often than not, failed backups usually lean towards a failing drive.

I have 5 spinning drives in DrivePool for storage on the Server. StablebitScanner reports this problem on one of them:

Current Pending Sector Count = 6 ( pretty sure this was 0 last time I checked) &

Uncorrectable Sector Count = 5 this was 3 about a week ago

Are these figures a concern and will a chkdsk /f /r help?

OR I could remove that drive from the pool and see what happens.

I wonder how DrivePool handles removal of a drive from the pool?

GotNoTime

Current Pending Sector Count = 6 ( pretty sure this was 0 last time I checked) &

Uncorrectable Sector Count = 5 this was 3 about a week ago

Are these figures a concern and will a chkdsk /f /r help?

Those counters incrementing mean your drive is starting to fail and should be replaced ASAP. The drive has noticed some sectors are no longer reliable and has started to remap them. This is an early indication of drive failure and can't be corrected via software such as chkdsk. Edited by GotNoTime
Poppapete

Those counters incrementing mean your drive is starting to fail and should be replaced ASAP. The drive has noticed some sectors are no longer reliable and has started to remap them. This is an early indication of drive failure and can't be corrected via software such as chkdsk.

Do you think that is enough of a problem to prevent the backups?

So I have ordered a new drive. Going for Hitachi this time, 4TB Ultrastar SATA 7200RPM 64MB Enterprise. The one giving me trouble is a WD 3TB Black,WD3000FY9Z which is enterprise grade and not 3 years old.  I am running Data Lifeguard extended on it at the moment and see what that says!

DrivePool says remove it from the pool and it will copy all files to the other drives in the pool.  I have plenty of spare space.

GotNoTime

[10/06/2015 08:35:06 2e0c] MainService: Error: The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service encountered the following error: Error code: 1117 API name: ReadFile File: G:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\GlobalCluster.4096.dat Error: 1117

[10/06/2015 10:28:37 74c] MainService: Error: The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service encountered the following error: Error code: 1117 API name: ReadFile File: G:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\GlobalCluster.4096.dat Error: 1117

[10/06/2015 14:03:15 16bc] MainService: Error: The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service encountered the following error: Error code: 1117 API name: ReadFile File: G:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\GlobalCluster.4096.dat Error: 1117

[10/06/2015 14:13:56 1b58] MainService: Error: The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service encountered the following error: Error code: 1117 API name: ReadFile File: G:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\GlobalCluster.4096.dat Error: 1117

Error 1117 is the Windows code for I/O device error.

Do you think that is enough of a problem to prevent the backups?

Yes. Your backup process is failing because one of the main backup datafiles has some dud sectors in it. The backup process is trying to access that portion of the file but it is getting an error. That is causing your backups to fail.

The backup mechanism used by WHS or SE is a little too sensitive and that's why I don't use it.  I've started using Veeam for the clients and I've been using Powershell to get the critical data off the RAID array to a Synology box which then gets backed up to removable media taken offsite.

Poppapete

So.

Error 1117 is the Windows code for I/O device error.

Yes. Your backup process is failing because one of the main backup datafiles has some dud sectors in it. The backup process is trying to access that portion of the file but it is getting an error. That is causing your backups to fail.

Really appreciate you taking the time to look at the log and confirming the problem. I have since run Data Lifeguard in advanced mode. Took 6 hours. Result is SMART Status: PASS but Test Result: Fail with error code:08-Unable to repair bad sectors.  I will now remove the drive from the DrivePool and while that is underway go and collect my new Hitachi to replace it. Then try the backups again manually.

Poppapete

The backup mechanism used by WHS or SE is a little too sensitive and that's why I don't use it.  I've started using Veeam for the clients and I've been using Powershell to get the critical data off the RAID array to a Synology box which then gets backed up to removable media taken offsite.

I am now tending to agree with you and may stop using the MS backup on the server. I already do a daily Veeam backup of each client as well.  I also use cloudberry to backup data monthly to Amazon S3 and most of my critical data is on OneDrive anyway. I could use Acronis's new BareMetal backup to replace the MS backup service but probably overkill and I would have to pay for the Acronis!

revengineer

I have my backup drives on a Drivebender pool. The backup database has survived several hard drive failures without a problem.

Edited by revengineer