RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
FairfaxStu

Accessing External Shares from WHS v1

FairfaxStu

Folks:

I am probably one of 3 people still using this product, but I like it and I am a power user. As we all know, WHS v1 is based upon Windows Server 2003 32 bit. What I am trying to do is a bit unconventional but it should work. Windows Server 2003 has the ability to back itself up to an external file (or set of files) using the native Backup feature under System Tools. You see all of this from the console or if your RDP into the machine.

Anway, to setup this backup, all I need to do is be able to access an external share on another Windows Server that I have. Before you ask, yes it has plenty of space for whatever this backup may try to backup. However, I cannot access the share. I can ping the external machine but I cannot access as the share from windows explorer as \\<server>\<share> like I can from all other windows machines in my system. It is not a userid/password thing. Instead, it seems that there is some sort of security setting in WHS that is preventing this.

Any ideas?

-FairfaxStu

Drashna Jaelre

Just to make sure, it's \\servername\share or \\IP.ADD.RES.S\sharename? 
If so, try opening the Windows Credential Manager and adding an entry manually.

Otherwise, try mapping the drive (and use the "connect using different credentials" option.

That, or make sure the other machine has a matching "Administrator" account that's enabled, and uses the same password as your server's password.

jmwills

What is the OS on the second server?

FairfaxStu

Windows Credential Manager is a Windows 7 thing as far as I can tell. Yes, I have tried \\<IP>\<share>. As far the external host, I have tried on Windows 7 and W2K8 server machines. The error that I get does not even give me the option to enter different credentials. It basically just says it can't find \\<server>. Also, Under networking, none of the of the other machines appear although they are in the same workgroup (WORKGROUP). '

Also, on the Win7 machine I am trying to access or map a drive to (that doesn't work either), the is already a user (Administrator) with the same password that I use on this WHS machine. So, all of that is in sync. There seems to be a setting somewhere that turns off the ability to see external CIFS shares. I just need to find it.

-FairfaxStu

Drashna Jaelre

Windows Credential Manager is a Windows 7 thing as far as I can tell. Yes, I have tried \\<IP>\<share>. As far the external host, I have tried on Windows 7 and W2K8 server machines. The error that I get does not even give me the option to enter different credentials. It basically just says it can't find \\<server>. Also, Under networking, none of the of the other machines appear although they are in the same workgroup (WORKGROUP). '

Also, on the Win7 machine I am trying to access or map a drive to (that doesn't work either), the is already a user (Administrator) with the same password that I use on this WHS machine. So, all of that is in sync. There seems to be a setting somewhere that turns off the ability to see external CIFS shares. I just need to find it.

-FairfaxStu

The name is, yes, but the feature isn't.

Specifically it's "Stored user names and passwords" in the control panel.

And it does work. I'm looking at it right now, and I can access my WSE server using my account on the domain with it. It's name and account info is saved there, and you can manually add new entries.

And it definitely works properly.

For my server, it's ARRAKIS for the server name, and LANDSRAAD\drashna for the user account. And that's what's entered into the entry.

If it's not, then something else may be going on here. 

That it's not finding the device by the host name may be normal. Try using it's IP address and not the host name. 

FairfaxStu

Sweet. Thank you. I am running the backup now. It looks like it is going to backup about 8TB which is odd because I have ~8TB of total storage on the server but only about 3.5 TB is used and most of that is for backups of the other PCs. I am not sure why it is so slow over my 10G network. It is utilizing less than 1% of the network and the estimated backup is a ridiculous 10 days and going up and down.

Another odd thing, unlike W2K8, is that there appears to be no way to schedule the backup. I suppose I will just have to put an entry on my calendar to remind me to do it once per month or so depending on if it is really successful and how long it really takes. Who knows what it will do when WHS kicks in and tries to backup external PC's at midnight tonight.

I will keep you posted on what happens.

-FairfaxStu

FairfaxStu

After running for about 16 hours it had only backed up around 400G so I opted just to cancel the operation. So, what did I learn? Well, even though the ability to backup server 2003 exists in WHS v1, it is not practical to use it presumably because of the way the drive extender technology works. To me, it seems that the the DE technology works well for technology that old but it is so slow compared to HW raid that trying to do a backup of the whole server is just not practical. 

That being said, the reason I still use WHS at all is not so that I can restore a machine after a drive failure (more on that below) but so I can look back at the old backups and restore files that I may have accidentally deleted. Restoring a modern machine using WHS just does not work because the restore OS is based on W2K3 32 bit so most of the drivers you need to get it to work on a modern 64 bit OS like WIn7, 8 or 10 do not exist. For this, I use a different product that creates images of my boot drives, stores them on a large RAID array and the restore client is Windows PE based. 

-Stu

Drashna Jaelre

To me, it seems that the the DE technology works well for technology that old but it is so slow compared to HW raid that trying to do a backup of the whole server is just not practical. 

Drive Extender was always very slow. Even on good hardware, it would top out at about 60MB/s reads, even for duplicated data. It was one of the major flaws of the feature.

This is also why people recommend StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender, they're a lot better in regards to performance (in part because they don't rely on reparse points for the storage, which is specifically the issue here).

As for the restore disk, it's based on the Vista version of WinPE.  So if you have the vista drivers, you can use DISM to integrate the drivers into the restore disk. In fact, that's literally what I had done for the XFiles Edition of the restore disk.