RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dvampoul

UPS & ESXi 6

ArnisR

But the link that ArnisR linked to gave a method to shutdown the host cleanly, using a USB UPS, which is what the OP was asking for...

Yes, the single poweroff command (from any Linux VM machine which configured as mentioned in link) cleanly shuts down VMs first and then the host&power it off. If I used "/sbin/shutdown.sh && /sbin/poweroff" then either ESXi host doesn't correctly shutdown controlling VM or it doesn't power off ESXi.

Dvampoul

I finally bought EATON 5E 850i DIN (1xSchuko & 2xIEC) but i find difficulties passing USB to VM. It appears the bellow message after booting CentOS 6.7 (VM)

"drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed "

And of course USB cannot be recognized as device.

Any help please?

ArnisR

I finally bought EATON 5E 850i DIN (1xSchuko & 2xIEC) but i find difficulties passing USB to VM. It appears the bellow message after booting CentOS 6.7 (VM)

"drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed "

And of course USB cannot be recognized as device.

Any help please?

Maybe try different USB controller type in VM settings?  I don't remember which version of controller I add to VM, but UPS is connected to USB2 port.

Dvampoul

I pluged usb on USB2 port of host! I tried both USB Ctrl on VM with no luck!

I will try an USB3 slot now and let you know!

Thanks 4 yr support!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snapper

Just double checking: have you have added a USB controller to the VM in the settings page and then afterwards added the UPS USB device itself to the VM also in the settings page?

After adding a new *controller* to the VM, I usually reboot the VM. Adding a USB *device* shouldn't need a VM reboot.

If you then login to the Linux VM and type dmesg | grep usb | grep more hopefully you will see your UPS...

Dvampoul

I still has issues.

I can see on Events on ESXi 6 (USB configuration has changed) repeatedly many times when USB is attached on ESXi server.

That's the root cause that none VM's can identify UPS. 

Anyone with same issue?

Thnaks!

GotNoTime

I can see on Events on ESXi 6 (USB configuration has changed) repeatedly many times when USB is attached on ESXi server.

That's the root cause that none VM's can identify UPS.

USB passthrough support in ESXi was never designed for devices like UPS units. The only officially supported devices are a limited selection of security dongles and mass storage devices.. Anything else may not work reliably. In your case, the UPS you're using is not compatible as I suspect it is a USB HID device which VMware specifically warns about.

If you have a CPU with VT-d then you can passthrough the entire USB controller. You lose the ability to suspend your VM and all USB devices will be connected to that single VM however. Be aware that the USB port, Micro-SD slot and iLO virtual peripherals are connected to one of the internal USB controllers so you will need to make sure to not passthrough that one.

If that isn't suitable then you will need another PC or system to connect the UPS to. Something like a Raspberry Pi 2 will be more than capable of this.

Edited by GotNoTime