RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dvampoul

UPS & ESXi 6

Dvampoul

Hi Guys,

I need to buy a UPS for my MS Gen8 Microserver but i cannot find how a UPS without LAN port can be managed the Host on ESXi, shut down VM's & Terminate shut down Host e.t.c

Does any of you any workaround even if with USB connection over ESXi for example?

Every help more than welcome!!!

Thanks a lot!

snapper

Depends on the ups make. IIRC there is a apc vm you can run that will do this for apc devices.

If not, I remember someone was developing a script that used nut. Google will probably find it...

Dvampoul

I will probably buy an Eaton UPS. I find an VM already but does this work with USB and passthrough?

I will have it in my hands in 2-3 days, i ll let you know.

Anyother with UPS installed to suggest or help?

Thanks a lot!

jmwills

VM's should return to the state they were in if the hosts reboot.

sal

VM's should return to the state they were in if the hosts reboot.

yes, but the guest OSes will be shut down dirty, which may result in data corruption. the whole point in having UPS is to avoid unexpected shut downs as most of the commodity ones can barely hold 1 machine for longer than 1 hour and their goal is fend off brief power spikes/outages and in a case of long outage give sufficient for graceful shut down. The extra bit of the smart UPS is that it can send shut down command to the host OS (ESXi) which then will shut down or suspend the guests without the need of human intervention.

The problem of the OP is that most smart UPSes are only shipping with Windows drivers/software for the smart function, largely because ESXi is designed for DCs where you have massive UPSes, and generators

jmwills

So you're saying you shut down all of the VM's before rebooting the host?  In a perfect world, yes but we know that is always not feasible.

snapper

yes, but the guest OSes will be shut down dirty, 

Not if you have VMware tools installed on the guests (which is good practice anyway as I understand it allows better memory sharing)

See point 10 on the thread ArnisR linked to...

sal

So you're saying you shut down all of the VM's before rebooting the host?  In a perfect world, yes but we know that is always not feasible.

No I'm saying that if you initiate shut down of the host the host will initiate shut down of the guest OSes if configured appropriately. The OP is looking for solution that will allow for the smart UPS to initiate shot down of the host

Not if you have VMware tools installed on the guests (which is good practice anyway as I understand it allows better memory sharing)

See point 10 on the thread ArnisR linked to...

If the host is shut down dirty the guest OSes will be shut down dirty as well regardless of the VMWare tools.  

• Like 1

snapper

If the host is shut down dirty the guest OSes will be shut down dirty as well regardless of the VMWare tools.  

But the link that ArnisR linked to gave a method to shutdown the host cleanly, using a USB UPS, which is what the OP was asking for...

• Like 2