RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Firmware Updates

venno

I updated the firmware for the rom and raid card successfully but the firmware for the embedded Nic doesn't update. I have tried intelligent provisioning and also the ISO from July but it doesn't want to go.

There has also been a change in the sensors with the last one, lom sensor 13, now comes up as not installed.

Has anyone experienced these issues before?

the firmware for the embedded Nic doesn't update

The version number of the NIC firmware update package and the version number of the actual firmware that is installed isn't the same.

There has also been a change in the sensors with the last one, lom sensor 13, now comes up as not installed.

The LOM sensor only appears if you've got the Windows NIC driver loaded. The Linux/ESXi driver doesn't support it.

Thanks for the info guys, i have tried intelligent provisioning and the july update iso but I can't see how to downgrade the driver.

Do I need to find the firmware file and manually install it?

Cheers Shonk, unfortunately I run ESXi and I understand those are windows OS drivers.

I guess no LOM temps for me, may have to add another blower fan and direct it at the broadcom chip just to play it safe.

Cheers Shonk, unfortunately I run ESXi and I understand those are windows OS drivers.

I guess no LOM temps for me, may have to add another blower fan and direct it at the broadcom chip just to play it safe.

The Broadcom chip doesn't get all that warm, but if it makes you feel better, you can do what I did --pick up a ramsink kit designed for graphics card RAM chips and use one of those.  They are adhesive backed with 3M thermal transfer tape, and stick on just fine, you'll only need one.  I had several lying around, or I wouldn't have bothered.