RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
capall

need suggestions for new router

capall

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my dir 655 with a new router and would appreciate any suggestions. My house has the following devices,  and no more than 2 devices will stream video (netflix) at the same time. House is approx 1500sq ft, with most of the wifi used on the same lavel so coberage requirements are about average.

Wired

TV-blu ray-AVR-DTV-ATV-Server-printer-desktop

wifi-n

2 ipads, 2 phones, 2 laptops

wifi ac

1 laptop

I also use 2 switches,

one for TV-blu ray-AVR-DTV-ATV and the other for Server-printer-desktop. next year I'll probably replace these with a single switch with multiple home runs.

I was thinking of getting a mid end AC router since most of my devices are still wifi-n, but with one device being AC and the AC routers being the newest technology

I was looking at something like the asus AC56U

Thanks

schoondoggy

Do you have a budget?

I prefer to have separate WiFi, Router and Switch devices. Do you want to setup your own router/firewall like Sophos-PFsense-Untangle?

If you want a traditional WiFi router NetGear Nighthawk and Dlink are good choices. Here is a good overview on Dlink:

http://homeservershow.com/the-big-spider-d-link-dir-890lr.html

• Like 1

awraynor

My current router is an Asus wireless AC model. It has good coverage and I've been mostly happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC68R-Wireless-AC1900-Dual-Band-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00I7EM752

We moved into our "new" house in May and ironically the best place for the router is out in the open in the den.

That monster would not have the WAF sitting out in the open. I'm kind of interested in the Google OnHub, but

the reviews have been mixed. It however would look decent out in the open. I had considered an Apple model

as well as it looks bland, but it isn't bristling with antennas as this new Asus model is. 

http://www.techhive.com/article/2979076/ifa/this-asus-router-is-a-powerful-rebuttal-to-google-onhubs-stark-simplicity.html

I had added some adapters to provide ethernet over powerline, those were quite disappointing. They provide 14 out of 60 Mbps

while my router can get over 50 to the same space. That up one floor and all the way to the other end of the house. Approximately

2800 sq. ft. total, so pretty decent coverage. For the moment it's hidden behind my TV in a cabinet, so placement is terrible making

that even more impressive. 

Did you read the thread by itGeeks. PCDoc seems to like it? 

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9901-open-mesh-has-released-there-new-mr1750-dual-band-80211ac-access-point/

GotNoTime

I had added some adapters to provide ethernet over powerline, those were quite disappointing. They provide 14 out of 60 Mbps

As with WiFi, the HomePlug advertising bends the truth quite significantly. The speeds they advertise are actually the PHY signalling rate which automatically halves the advertised speed already and also doesn't include various overheads which further reduce it. Rough rule of thumb for HomePlug speeds is that with a good clean mains feed and the devices are close together on a single circuit is that you'll achieve an actual throughput of 1/3 the signalling rate.

awraynor

I'll probably move the modem/router back to the office then expand the wireless in the house. 

Even though I get a strong signal, the latency varies significantly throughout my home. 

jmwills

I've been VERY pleased with my Asus RT66NU

capall

Thanks Guys,

budget is around $100,

When we remodel the house next year, I'll have the walls open so can then put multiple drops per room. I'll also get a big switch and possiblly separate the router from its wifi duties, but for the moment I think I'll just use it for both. I do have a small 8 port switch that I will employ for the moment for media devices and another for the server/printer/pc

thanks

derek

LoneWolf

If your budget is around $100, the TPLink Archer C7 is also worthy of consideration.  It's an AC1750 router; Amazon currently has it for $87 and change.

It's interface isn't quite as polished as ASUS perhaps, but it is 3x3, supports guest and private wireless networks, and generally checks all of the boxes for someone on a budget.  It also has decent external antennas.  SmallNetBuilder ranks it as a good value buy.

capall

Hi Guys,
So I picked up an ASUS AC56u, which should do me for the shorterm. I'll leave it to perform routing and wifi duties for now, but will install a switch in a home run location and connect all my devices to it. I will look at getting an access point for dedicated wifi later.

I was wondering if this diagram makes sense. My living room sits directly above the garage and want to keep the modem and switch in the garage, since that's where my comcast signal comes in, and is also a good location to home run cables. I will then need to bring the router up into the living room to maximise the wifi signal, which means bringing a cable back down to the switch, and then bringing the switch cables back up to the devices, if I adopt the home run layout.

thanks for any feedback

nw pic.jpg