RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 102, What do you think ?

diehard

Episode 102 is full of the weeks news on Windows Home Server. Although we are still waiting on Vail there is plenty to talk about this week. Jim and Dave also go over the progress of there builds. If you haven’t tuned in lately they both have test servers that they are building for the upcoming (we hope) Vail beta. And lastly, we quickly go over the give away for episode 100. It’s finally over and Dave will be sending out notifications soon. There may be more to come though so stay tuned!

Dave McCabe appearance on The Media Center Show

The Give Away Post

Vail Test Server Build

Testing RAID with VAIL

How to access your WHS with an iPhone or iPod Touch

Add-In: DNS Updater

Microsoft Announces Windows Home Server Update

MS Knowledge Base Article for the Update

F-Secure for WHS no longer

Convert Media Center Recordings for your iPad

So, What do you think ? :)

I thought 102 was a good one.

One thing I forgot to put in the show notes was the challenge that Jim put out there. If we get fifty ustream participants Jim will convert it to a video broadcast. Mostly of his kids playing xbox but it's better than nothin' right?

102 was a lot of fun. For the rest of you who haven't had the chance to catch it live on uStream, you're missing out. Come and join in on the fun!

(The guys WILL wear shorts once we get to 50.)

Great show guys! Jim, in response to your memory question, go into the BIOS, select "MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)", Goto "Extreme memory profile (XMP)" and load the profile which is probably called "Profile 1). You should see you memory change to 1600Mhz. Save your settings and that is it. It will work on your memory because it is 1600 but this does not work on memory that rated at a less speed like 1333.

Awesome as always!

Yeah, not sure why you're had a disaster when installing the ASUS WebStorage Add-In. It might not like to play nice with other Add-ins. On the Home Server I tried it on...which is my main one, the only Add-ins I have are Advanced Admin Console and the Windows Home Server Toolkit.

You mentioned about being comfortable backing up data to the cloud. I guess with ASUS I am not worried as nothing I've backed up contains any personal or private info. For backing up my important items I use Carbonite or Amazone S3.

btw...thanks for the mention about my article on accessing WHS from an iPhone or iPod Touch!

Edited by mysticgeek

Thanks Mike. I will try that this weekend when I dig into the bios on that box. Might just have to skype you at some point as well!

I love the Ustream! I just dont know why I am tired and have a headache every Thursday?

Oh crap for got the make the rules for the new "Game" for 103.

I will post now in Hobbies =)

Mike - thanks for the tip on my mobo. Got it set and it back up and running great! BTW, awesome board so far. Came home today and Vail was running at 49 watts idle and I have done nothing to the power setting yet. Runs between 60 and 70 powered up. More testing to do and some drives yet to be installed.

A question about Twonky on the MSS. It has really decreased my satisfaction on my 495. I have it disabled at present, but how will it change things if I uninstall it completely?

Would you then recommend a non-addin install via RDC? I had thought about an OEM install of WHS on the box, how much more value added software is on the 495 and is it worth it to uninstall it for performance gains?