RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

Windows 10 Client Hyper-V ...

JackoUK

... is looking good so far.

Windows 10 Enterprise evaluation working fine: so that's my 'Windows machine-destroying tests' catered for!

Remote desktop to a UBUNTU 14.04.3 MATE desktop also good to go ...

... but I haven't been able to remote to a MINT 17.2 MATE desktop, which I thought would be easier.

Anybody else experimenting with LINUX VM's?

Why? Well instead of buying a copy of W10 Pro for each Microserver I'm trying to see how an SMB file share under LINUX will perform (and also whether this Windows user is up to the task!).

MATE looks so similar to a Windows 2D desktop that I expected it to be easier. 

UBUNTU VM setup.pdf

JackoUK

Easy enough after all ... in fact only 6 commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xrdp
sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
echo mate-session > ~/.xsession
sudo service xrdp restart
hostname -I​

Now on to a network share ... and then I hope LVM ... and then CloudDrive, virtualising a whole machine worth of disks into a single Windows drive letter.

Edward

Many many thanks JackoUK

I really should have looked here ages ago as your highly useful pdf picks up on several points I was struggling on over the past couple of weeks or so. Specifically optimising Ubuntu as a VM in Hyper-V.

Based on your pdf I will blow away my existing Ubuntu VM and start again.

Like you I went with a win10 install as the host and enabled Hyper-V.  But unlike you I don't have much experience with Ubuntu so your detailed steps will get me very far.

Few quick questions if I may? (*) what progress have you made since early Oct and (*) did you enable CloudDrive? If so what is your experience? Is it really unlimited as if it is I may well replace my crashplan account (currently 1.6tb and growing). (*) Did LVM work out? How did you connect with the host drives? I'm running DrivePool on the win10 host and it would be useful to know how LVM works with that.

Edward

JackoUK

1. I've abandoned my plan for cloud storage. Microsoft's November announcement withdrawing unlimited Onedrive storage puts the kibosh on the financial part of my design!

I'm not sure I can trust Amazon or Backblaze ... or anyone any more ... when they say 'unlimited'.

2. My idea with LVM was to create a single volume over an entire storage server with whatever disks it happened to have ... and then export that logical volume as a single shared area, say /VIDEOS.

So Windows and Drivepool would simply see a network share.

One could do the same with Storage Spaces in Windows but only after buying a copy of Windows 10Pro!

It has to be the Pro version for remote access maintenance ... which is free under UBUNTU (that's the real point of my initial remote access to an UBUNTU VM test).

I haven't tested LVM yet because ...

3. ... I've been worrying about silent data corruption over TB's of data. On Windows I'd like ReFS but it is only available in server editions and they are prohibitively expensive for typical home usage. No sign of ReFS in client editions yet.

So I've been wondering about ZFS on UBUNTU ... and there does appear to be a package for it.

zfsonlinux.org

No testing yet.

Note that ZFS appears to have all the functionality of RAID, drive extender/DrivePool (for differently sized disks), deduplication and data corruption protection.

Might need lots of RAM though :-(

4. Must remember to change my guide slightly for the November update of W10 ... the client Hyper-V screens are slightly different.

I'll repost here when I do something substantial.

Edited by JackoUK

bcouper

I think ZFS requires lots of memory if you have inline deduplication enabled, if I recall up to 1GB for every 1TB of storage.

If you turn that feature off the memory usage plummets but so does performance.

You could check out Btrfs (butter fs) as an alternative.

What I don't understand is, you are apparently going to have multiple 'micro servers' with what seems like a significant amount of disk space... yet you can't even fork out the extra money for a Win 10 pro license?

While you could half-bake a solution built on an operating-system you are clearly less familiar with, how reliable and manageable is that going to be over the next few years?

How much extra time are you going to have to sink into this "solution" ?

JackoUK

Good questions ...

1. I will not be implementing deduplication. It is a most unlikely home user requirement: we tend to store one copy of works typically generated externally e.g. music CD, video DVD, ebook, ... (not counting raid and archive copies of course) ... do we not? And of course our own family videos and photographs.

Your estimate of 1GB per TB is for FREENAS I think.

ZFS dedup is way more expensive at 5GB RAM per TB of data. Ouch.

I'm thinking maybe 8GB on an HP Microserver for basic operations ... but I agree it is a key metric to test.

And I'm not worried about performance either.

Lots of people in this forum go for server OS's, XEON processors and the like, consuming lots of power.

Doesn't help a home storage server much - the fastest server is still constrained by network bandwidth and disk IO - typically 100MBs.

Home usage is typically 'which video are we going to watch tonight kids?' i.e. spiky and singular ... completely different from a 25-50 user business requirement where smoother higher continuous throughput is required.

2. BTRFS ... maybe.

3. I already have 4 HP microservers, including one N36 machine which must be coming up on its 5th birthday. They have been available (on offer) at about £125 in the UK.

I am a lifelong Windows user at home. Since I have a few retail licenses for older versions and bought several moveable Windows 8 upgrades at £25 a pop ... I have plenty of cheap licenses.

You can imagine I was very pleased that W10 was a free upgrade!

My problem is one of legacy optimisation.

OK, OK, so I am a cheapskate. Guilty as charged!

4. I haven't started baking yet, still assembling the ingredients ;-)

I found the UBUNTU MATE UI very similar and manageable to Windows ... and did work on several UNIX projects in the 1980's.

My first instinct was to look for a solution using Storage Spaces. However much of the documentation for this uses POWERSHELL.

Seems to me that POWERSHELL and the LINUX command line are pretty similar.

Note that for a dedicated storage server there isn't much maintenance to do after initial setup - it just appears as a network share.

The only extra operation is a data scrub ... the one thing I want for data integrity.

5. I am in the hands of ZFS developers as far as reliability is concerned.

6. Extra time? Not much. Setting up Storage Spaces would be pretty much the same ... with the extra cost of Windows Server licenses.

Anyways, that's why we are on this forum - because we like mastering the technology and aren't concerned about the 'cost' of our time :-)

If you want a half-baked, 'solution' ... go talk to Microsoft and ask about WinFS (abandoned), WHS (withdrawn), Onedrive (betrayed, still not working reliably).:-(