RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012R2 Evaluation

conival

Has anyone actually been able to install Server 2012 (evaluation) onto an HP microserver Gen8?

I've managed to install ESXi 6.0 onto an internal SD card and create VMs of 2012 from there, but no matter what I try, I cannot get Server 2012R2 to do a clean install.

I've tried Intelligent Provisioning and booting direct from USB & DVD - neither works.

Tried different ISOs, different hard drives, disabling the network cards - no joy.

I get a "WIM.XML not generated correctly" on one install, "Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms" on another.

BIOS is J06 2014.06.06

Intelligent Provisioning 1.61.45

iLO 2.03

It's just the stock Celeron CPU, but with 16 GB RAM, various hard drives.

As I've said, it works OK on ESXi, but I really wanted to try out Server 2012R2 Datacenter and Hyper-V (I've also tried installing just the free Hyper-V Server 2012 - still fails).

It's not the end of the world, but it's really bugging me.

... onto a USB 2.0 stick, which insert in a USB 2.0 port and boot direct without Intelligent Provisioning.

Windows can be fussy.

I discovered this after having given all my old USB 2.0 sticks to my niece with her new laptop!

Edited by JackoUK

I'm running 2012R2 as a VM on ESXi 6.0

I dont have a CD drive and couldn't figure how to make a USB key visible to the VM.

However, I installed 2012R2 by simply copying the ISO to the VM Volume on the datastore directly from my host PC, then mounting it as a CD via the VM settings. Worked a treat.

• 3 months later...