RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
tswalker

add a server to the device list?

tswalker

I have not actually tried this yet, but was thinking about it...  can the connector be added to a server for remote management via the devices list in Essentials portal?

jmwills

What kind of server?  If Essentials, then no as it is a Primary Domain Controller and you can only have one per domain.

tswalker

not the controller.. no, but rather a member server perhaps for just doing some simple administration while working remotely...  

I'm sure there are other ways, but since anywhere access has built in tunneling (I believe), it would be super helpful.  I've had it working for client workstations, but sometimes while away or out of town, only my hypervisor is running.

jmwills

That's why I asked.....you can only have PDC in a domain, so in this case Essentials cannot be be joined.  Now, a plain server 2012R2 could be joined but it will be come a domain member.

Hold on, just VPN into the existing server.

Trimble Epic

I've been using Splashtop Personal to remote into all of my machines, including the server and it's VM's....

tswalker

That's why I asked.....you can only have PDC in a domain, so in this case Essentials cannot be be joined.  Now, a plain server 2012R2 could be joined but it will be come a domain member.

Hold on, just VPN into the existing server.

hehe, ya... I figured as such.

I think what I may do is just setup a small laptop and hook it in... low power, small footprint, and set it up with W8Enterprise. I could then configure into the VDI setup and also take advantage of the accelerated graphics over RPC.

I think I'll make this a side project over the next couple weeks.

thanks for the reply's y'all... got my head thinking again :)

Edited by tswalker

Andne

If I understand what you're asking, I think the answer is yes.  I have a couple of VM's running Server 2012 R2 Standard that I have joined to my Essentials server as clients.  They do get added to the domain as members as well.  Certain features don't work with servers (backup is the main one I've noticed) but the health monitoring still works and they are available in the web interface to use remote desktop with.

I have not been able to do this with the free Hyper-V server, the connector refuses to install on it (I forget why though, missing component I think).

The VPN connection that is part of Anywhere Access should give you access to the internal network when you're connected, so another option would be use to use that to connect to the network and then use remote desktop the same as you would if you were already on the network.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• doliveira
      By doliveira
      Hi,

At my home office i have a HP Microserver N40L and i use “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials”.

On the past i had some initial configuration and instability problems with Anywhere Access + VPN, but somehow i finally have them working properly and stable for the last months. 

But last week i needed to format the server and install a brand new and clean “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials”.

I have made the installation, then made all the updates, then i have added some roles and features and then i went to setup Anywhere Access + VPN and it’s giving me 2 errors (one saying that i have port 80 and 443 blocked and other saying i have more than one router on my network).

Both errors do not exist, because besides manual confirmation that ports are open, no network configuration was changed since last week. And if all was working in the past, now all should also work.

I have already try to turn all off and then try again to run the Anywhere Access + VPN repair wizard and the errors are still the same.

I have already pass too many hours trying to identify what is wrong… and i can’t wait to much longer.

So i have 2 requests to make to anyone reading this:

1- If anyone has any idea of what is the problema, and wants to share the advice, great! Please do.

2- I’m willing to hire and pay to an expert to remote login my server and solve the problem. I can provide remote access and be your remote eyes so you can see all the network setup. If you can do this, please reply to this thread with your email or send me a PM.

---------

My network setup is as follows:

ISP Router (in bridge mode) > Router TP-Link ER-5120 > Smart Switch TP-Link TL-SG108E

Then Smart Switch then connects:

- Port 1 to Router
      - Port 2 to Access Point TP Link TL-WA901ND (with QVLAN enable for private and public wifi networks)
      - Port 4 to Unmanaged Switch TP-Link TL-SG1016

Then the Unmanaged Switch connects to my server and my home office computers.

--------

Thanks

• doliveira
      By doliveira
      Hi,

I’m setting up my small office network and on my server I will use the “Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials” and I will want to enable and use the “Anywhere Access” and “VPN” build in features to have remote access to my server from outside.

Regarding this, my router uses as factory default the port 80 to access the admin interface. 

But I think I should change this in order for my router not to be visible from outside world, and also not to conflict with any of the Windows Server services, correct? It’s a best practice to do this correct?

If yes, I really don’t know which port I should use. I’m think on using port 8080 so the router access from inside my network will become: http://192.168.0.1:8080.

So can anyone please share your advice on which port I should use for my router admin interface access?

It must be a port that can only have access from my internal network and it must be a port not used by common services in order not to create conflicts. 

Thanks

• Todd
      By Todd
      I added a new PC the server and made backups.  The PC failed shortly after purchase and was returned.  I am now attempting to "Remove a Computer" to delete the PC from Devices.  I continuously receive a message "An unknown error prevented removal of this computer.  Please try again."  I've run "Repair Backups" and also attempted to remove with the archive feature both checked and unchecked.  No luck.

I am able to remove other devices on the serve, just this one doesn't work.  Has anyone run across this and resolved it?  If not, I may be rebuilding my server over the holidays.  Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer.
    • brianmullins
      By brianmullins
      Hey guys,

Need some advice/direction. I've got a WSE2012 (not R2) server set up and have been a bit neglectful of it. Currently the Storage Spaces drive that I had created is totally hosed as it ran out of space. I added a drive a few months back with the intention of moving/removing some old backups, but time got away from me and it died again once it filled up. It has no data other than backups of my desktop machine on it, and that's not been working for 6+ months. I've got Crashplan on my desktop, too, so i'm not in any immediate danger of losing data.

What I'd like to do is just wipe the machine and start over. However, it's my domain controller (only my desktop machine is joined), and I'm worried about having to move my user profile on my desktop to a new domain. Can I just rebuild the server, name it and the domain the same as currently and then rejoin my desktop without issues?

Thanks in advance. I trust you all way more than any other site to lead me in the right direction.

Jim and Dave (and anyone else who's thinking this...): I know, I should have the server backing up, too. That's the goal for the new setup. And I'll be avoiding Storage Spaces. What a pain.

Thanks,

Brian
    • Bobby Jean
      By Bobby Jean
      Hello everyone

Actually we have 2 desktops :one (dell power edge) server with windows server 2012, and the other one is a windows xp
      i need to add the windows xp desktop and connect it to the server, so that both machines user can use the same application and also use the same printer (a doctor's office).
      i already created a domain in the windows server, but i still don't know what are the next steps !
      please guys i need your help !
      Thank you very much.