RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSHD as Boot Drive?

E3000

Hey guys,

So I want 4 HDDs in the front bays, I want an ODD for whenever I need to burn a disc (most of my other systems don't have ODD so better to have it on server), but I'd also like an SSD to boot off as I have decided to go with Windows Server 2012 as an OS.

I had planned to try a setup with a boot SSD attached to SDM-R2 (drive mount) as well as the ODD at the top as I have seen various videos and pics of these servers having 6-9 drives installed, but it seems it's not as straightforward as I thought.

I then thought it may be easier to get a 2TB boot HDD and partition it in bay1 as I did with N54L. I'm thinking SSHD (hybrid SSD/HDD) would be the best of both worlds but I'm wondering if there would be any problems booting from it? I remember when I was setting up N54L I read a lot about "advanced format" drives not working as boot drives and I'm assuming SSHD should have some different firmware features than a standard drive. I have also read a lot about Gen8 having complex bios/firmware.

So my questions...

1) Will a SSHD boot with no problems just as a standard drive would?

2) Would it be ok to boot a 4TB SSHD if I partition it first to get over the 2TB limitation?

3) Is my original plan of SSD+ODD+4HDDs better? Is it feasible without any performance issues?

Thanks for the help in advance ;-)

Edited by E3000

1.  SSHD will appear to the BIOS and OS as per any normal drive, and will in certain circumstances be faster than a traditional spinner, but slower than an actual SSD.

2.  2Tb limitation shouldn't be an issue as long as you are using an appropriate OS.

3.  SO many different options for drives in the Gen8 I wouldn't know where to tell you to start.  I have an SSD for boot on the B120, with a 4 way cable which then has another SSD for my VM's to sit on, then 4 drives in the cage running off of a P222 then my ODD will be going onto the internal USB header.   Told you, there are so many different ways to get drives into a Gen8... ;)

If you can afford to go with WS2012 and SSD for booting  ... then I'd suggest buying an external DVD writer.

The cost of external v internal OD is surely worth the power and flexibility of SDD boot and 4xHDDs in the main bays.

This also has the advantage of attaching to your other devices which don't have that capability.

Why do you need a DVD burner in a server?

Drive sharing... I'd like the ODD in one place that any PC can access, but it seems that's not as straightforward as I thought...

If you can afford to go with WS2012 and SSD for booting ... then I'd suggest buying an external DVD writer.

The cost of external v internal OD is surely worth the power and flexibility of SDD boot and 4xHDDs in the main bays.

This also has the advantage of attaching to your other devices which don't have that capability.

External ODD probably is the best idea I guess... There would probably be a lot less issues than using one remotely. Edited by E3000