RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 6 free - does web client expire?

LoneWolf

Hi all,

I have my new VM testbed server set up and ESXi 6U1 installed.  The one thing I'm curious about --I know that in ESXi 5.5 free, the VSphere Web Client expired after sixty days, making it impossible to edit newer VM versions, as they can only be edited through the web client.

Is this still the case with version 6, or has VMWare changed their tune?  I don't want to rum a VM past version 8 if I can't edit it sixty days from now.  And if that is the case, it will might also make me think about running XenServer instead (although last time I played with it, performance wasn't as good as ESXi or even HyperV).

I know that in ESXi 5.5 free, the VSphere Web Client expired after sixty days, making it impossible to edit newer VM versions, as they can only be edited through the web client.

Is this still the case with version 6, or has VMWare changed their tune?

The vSphere Web Client is still part of vCenter so will stop working once your evaluation license expires.

vSphere 5.5U2 added the ability for the old C# client to edit > v9 hardware. You can only alter things that were present in v9 or earlier though. Any v11 features aren't supported. There are some issues with the C# client and handling very large VMDKs but you can work around that using the ESXi SSH interface or console.

If you've got a recent version of VMware Workstation then that can also connect to your vSphere host and manage it. If it is recent then it will support v11 hardware.

There is a VMware labs Fling called the ESXi embedded host client which will hopefully help in these situations in the future but at the moment, it doesn't work properly with the free version.

Edited by GotNoTime

I installed the v2.0 fling of the embedded host client.  I haven't done much with it, but it does seem to work with the free version, though I get warned there are limitations with my current license.  Have you tried it at all on a free ESXi host, and what are the results you have had, or heard of from others?

I installed the v2.0 fling of the embedded host client.  I haven't done much with it, but it does seem to work with the free version, though I get warned there are limitations with my current license.  Have you tried it at all on a free ESXi host, and what are the results you have had, or heard of from others?

I've only used it on a Enterprise Plus licensed version of vSphere. Are you sure it is working on the free version? The Fling page and the comments mention that it appears operations succeed but they're actually silently failing if you try to use it on the free license.

I've only used it on a Enterprise Plus licensed version of vSphere. Are you sure it is working on the free version? The Fling page and the comments mention that it appears operations succeed but they're actually silently failing if you try to use it on the free license.

From what I just read on the blogs about v2, you are correct, it still does not support anything other than read operations on ESXi free.  They say they are working to change this, but have no ETA.  :(