RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Ready to expirement 10Gb Ethernet?

scruffters

Anybody looked at the little DLINK 1510-20? I've just installed one.. seems like a nice unit, paired with a StarTech 10G card.

Its budget kit, but I figured I'd add this to the convo.

Edited by scruffters

schoondoggy

Anybody looked at the little DLINK 1510-20? I've just installed one.. seems like a nice unit, paired with a StarTech 10G card.

Its budget kit, but I figured I'd add this to the convo.

Thank you!

I had not looked at DLINK. The DGS-1510-28X may be just what I am looking for!

Trig0r

What about the HP 2530-8 or the Cisco SG300-10?

scruffters

No problem schoondoggy.

These are surprisingly quiet and low power. The management interface is intuitive (standard drink really).. they also seem to support a bunch of layer2/3 functions.

I've used a number of bigger Netgear XS series units before, also cheap quanta LB4 CX4 class stuff from eBay, but I think the little DLINK is really quite a neat unit for cheap 10G scenarios. No benchmarking done yet, but I expect it to do pretty well in most scenarios.

PS. There is also a fanless MikroTik CRS226-24G-2S+RM.. but I think the DLINK is probably a more polished/ product.

LoneWolf

What about the HP 2530-8 or the Cisco SG300-10?

I'm using the SG300-10MPP myself, but I don't believe there's a version that does 10Gbe, unless it's at the upper-end (like maybe the 52-port model of the SG300).  But it does have SFP ports for optional gig fiber.

Trig0r

I've not checked the full specs on either tbh, just a quick 30 second glance...

Dave

You guys must be reading my mind!  I've been thinking about this gear as some backaul links here in HSS HQ.  Keep chatting and testing! Be prepared to come on HSS Podcast to discuss too!

schoondoggy

Although it is close to $1000, the HP 1950 has twenty four 1Gb ports and four 10Gb ports (two RJ45 and two SFP+)

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/networking-switches/product-detail.html?oid=6887535

You guys must be reading my mind!  I've been thinking about this gear as some backaul links here in HSS HQ.  Keep chatting and testing! Be prepared to come on HSS Podcast to discuss too!

How far do you need to run 10Gb? Switch to switch?

xcom

I use it on a an everyday bases...

10GigE Extreme Summit X670 Stacked.

Extreme DAC.

LACP on all servers.

Very inexpensive solution.

BUT after they got bought out their quality sucks. Looking in to moving to Brocade.