RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Media Center Guide Data Not Downloading (Summer 2015)

Dave

Hey Guys,

I was talking with Wodysweb at Meetup 2015 and he told me he ditched Media Center because of Guide Data issues.  I knew exactly what he was talking about.  I had my recordings interrupted this Summer due to lack of guide data.  I tried a lot of things and then hit the internet for a solution.  I found a couple of spots that said to rerun TV Signal Setup and change your Zip Code.  That worked for me however, it has not for a lot of people.

Why am I bringing this up?  I'm changing my HTPC from my home build TivoCenter, which is a Sony Series 1 Tivo converted to PC (link here), to the HP Stream Mini Desktop (follow that here).

Side Note, I tried Windows 7 on the HP Stream Mini Desktop but the drivers were giving me way too much trouble. I have the luxury of testing software with MSDN so I opted for Windows 8.1 also due to the fact I have a key to load 8.1 Pro with Media Center.

Windows 8.1 loaded up fine but Media Center Setup kept giving me the Guide Data can't be downloaded error.  My exact search string was this, "media center tv setup data could not be downloaded."

I landed on this site.  http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfuller/archive/2015/07/22/workaround-for-no-television-guide-available-in-windows-media-center-after-july-20th-2015/

What an awesome post this is as it has a summary of what a lot of folks have tried and published.  Let me summarize what worked for me. I did A, B, and C exactly and I now have guide data.  With my own Zip code.

Make sure to close WMC

A-) Modify Host File

– Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
-Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
-Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
-When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
-In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
-Click Open.
-Replace the IP address at the bottom of file with:
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com 
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com 
-Click File > Save to save your changes.

B-) CLEAN GUIDE DOWNLOAD AND ASSIGNMENT (By Wyldwof):

-Close WMC
-Open Task Scheduler – Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks
-In the left tree expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center
-In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)
-Close Task Scheduler

C-DNS FLUSH

-Click Start.
-Select Programs.
-Select Accessories and locate the Command Prompt shortcut.
-Right click the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu.
-Type ipconfig /release in the command prompt.
-Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been released.
-Type ipconfig /renew in the command prompt.
-Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been re-established.
-Type ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt.
-Close the command prompt and reboot computer

Last step is to run “Set Up TV Signal” from the WMC settings menu. After running the set up it should take 3-5 mins for the guide to update.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

For Step A, if you're using pfSense, Untangle or Sophos (or Windows Server Essentials with the clients configured to use the server as the primary DNS), you can add the entry on the router itself, so you don't have to mess around with system files. 

• Like 1

nrf

I recently had an abortive attempt to provision a fresh win7 instance. There are multiple types of guide data issues. All three of my working instances use the hosts file workaround. But when doing the fresh setup, besides the dns aspect that can be fixed with the hosts file, there is also the situation where it cannot give you a list of lineups to choose from. If you can't even choose the lineup it will never be able to even attempt to download the guide data. This requires yet more web searching to resolve. In the end it kept having playready update issues and I got tired of messing with it.

At this point I treasure my working three instances and put up with checking periodically for confusion in the data regarding whether a showing is new or rerun. I am also really thankful that Bare Metal Restore from whs2011 or server 2012r2+essentials does not trigger the playready update issue.

While microsoft is grudgingly continuing to give us guide data by re-using its xbox guide data provider, the bitterness of poor underlying quality due to their lack of interest in correcting issues remains. I hate that I am stuck with WMC+cablecard because of my cable providers insistence on DRM. Bottom line is this baloney only hurts paying customers while doing zero to stop piracy. (steps off soapbox)

Edited by nrf

Drashna Jaelre

I hate that I am stuck with WMC+cablecard because of my cable providers insistence on DRM. Bottom line is this baloney only hurts paying customers while doing zero to stop piracy. (steps off soapbox)

I remember the switch to CableCard. I was pissed. Because you're absolutely right, the only people that DRM actually punishes is paying customers.  Because it's pretty trivial to re-encode and strip the DRM out... but it breaks WMC compatibility. 

The problem with the "less than legit" methods of getting the programming ... you can get a much better experience. No worrying about if you can actually play the file (on a different device even, or after a certain amount of time), or if you can even record it .... And getting notifications with the programs are available? 

It's a CF, and I'm not sure there really is a "good" solution. Online streaming isn't. For people with lower bandwidth, it's not feasible. And Netflix constantly shows why it's not great (ever want to watch something and Netflix no longer "has" it? ..... yeah....)

nrf

The idea that content jumps around randomly on the streaming services leaves me with a bad taste as well. Suppose you want to watch a triple movie sequence. you go and find that both epix AND netflix only show movies 2 and 3 this month. At least with the cablecard, I can save the two from EPIX and hopefully #1 will come around on the turnstile someday. The other frustration with netflix is you end up needing both the dvd and the streaming services, otherwise stuff you want tends to be on the opposite service.

• Like 1

nrf

An update and cry for help...

I've been grooming a new win7 instance on an extra disk, kind of a dual boot setup. I am using my whs2011 backups to allow me to undo/redo so to speak.

In any case, after fully updating the instance, I started in with 7MC. I got through the setup without hitting the 'unknown zipcode resulting in no list of providers' issue. Most of the guide data is coming in with one persistent error that seems to be ignorable.

I am again stuck with the following issue: Every time I try to test out my setup by viewing a cablecard protected channel, it tells me my playready is out of date. Each time I go through the processes of 'helping' it complete. But then, it again tells me it is out of date. 

I know that someday I am going to end up having to rebuild one of my systems from scratch for some reason or another, and I really want to have some confidence I can do it. Has anyone else run in to the need to repeatedly update playready? This is enough to turn someone into a pirate! Aaarghhh.

itGeeks

An update and cry for help...

I've been grooming a new win7 instance on an extra disk, kind of a dual boot setup. I am using my whs2011 backups to allow me to undo/redo so to speak.

In any case, after fully updating the instance, I started in with 7MC. I got through the setup without hitting the 'unknown zipcode resulting in no list of providers' issue. Most of the guide data is coming in with one persistent error that seems to be ignorable.

I am again stuck with the following issue: Every time I try to test out my setup by viewing a cablecard protected channel, it tells me my playready is out of date. Each time I go through the processes of 'helping' it complete. But then, it again tells me it is out of date. 

I know that someday I am going to end up having to rebuild one of my systems from scratch for some reason or another, and I really want to have some confidence I can do it. Has anyone else run in to the need to repeatedly update playready? This is enough to turn someone into a pirate! Aaarghhh.

In my humble opinion it is truly time to let go of MC, Its an unsupported "end of life" product as far as I am concerned. There are many reports about the media guide not working as well as other things.

Just saying B)

nrf

guide data is wonky sometimes, but usually corrects itself prior to the actual showtime.

to repeat, those of us dependent on cablecards don't yet have somewhere to jump to should we let go. Win7 is supposed to be supported for another few years, and win8 some years beyond that, yet WMC is an orphan already.

hey, microsoft, many of us paid cash to use WMC under win8 - get with it!

Edited by nrf

itGeeks

guide data is wonky sometimes, but usually corrects itself prior to the actual showtime.

to repeat, those of us dependent on cablecards don't yet have somewhere to jump to should we let go. Win7 is supposed to be supported for another few years, and win8 some years beyond that, yet WMC is an orphan already.

hey, microsoft, many of us paid cash to use WMC under win8 - get with it!

Yes we did pay cash to use WMC under win8 however most of use did it knowing its an unsupported product ;)

nrf

unloved, perhaps. unsupported, not clear to me.

perhaps if more of us had opted-in to the windows experience program...