RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

StarTech Controller for boot SSD ?

gjbth

Does anyone have any experience of using the StarTech 2 port sata III controller in the PCI slot of the Microserver.

http://www.ebuyer.com/205769-startech-com-2-port-sata-6-gbps-pci-express-sata-controller-card-pexsat32

I intended buying two of these for my Microservers to connect to the OS boot SSD, which at the moment are connected to the odd sata on the mainboard.

The intention is to convert back to AHCI but still retain the ability to boot from the SSD in the odd bay. I know a workaround has been posted using an sd card but I just want to keep it simple and this seems to be the easiest option.

Anyway would fitting this card and booting from it in AHCI mode increase the fans speeds to an unreasonable level. I intend leaving the four large hd's connected to the B120i controller.

I would be grateful for any info.

Works fine but unsure about fans.

Another option is to get this card instead: http://www.startech....087~PEXSAT34SFF

Or a copy using the same chipset: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4-port-lycom-pe-123i-ahci-sata-iii-6-gbps-sff-8087-internal-mini-sas-low-profile-pcie-host-adapter  (i have this one)

and plug that card into the front drive caddy using the SFF8087 connector.

Then get a SFF8087 forward breakout cable, plug it into the mainboard and use the B120i with a raid0 SSD in the ODD bay.

This gives you fan control / standard booting and 4x 6gbps hot-swap front drives.

Edited by snapper

Thank you for the info snapper. Is this the setup you are using with the Scan card. If so I assume you have no problem with a huge increase in fan noise. I assume connecting the ssd this way, I could set the B120i to AHCI mode and boot without problem or would this cause fan issues.

I did see a post previously where someone was using the StarTech card I posted about. It still would be interesting to find out if it caused fan issues, but I do like your suggestion.

Going off to read up on the Scan card now.

Im currently using a ML310ev2 but did the same with the microserver.

B120i has 2 x SSD in RAID0 (via forward breakout cable) and the PCI card has the 4 front bays.

Fan is 6 - 11% on both systems. Both SSD are Crucial and have onboard temperature sensors (not sure if all SSD do)

From what I can work out, when the onboard controller is in AHCI mode, iLO cannot intercept the SATA traffic to determine the hard drive temperature. You should see this on the "sea of sensors" temperature page - there probably won't be sensor 04-HD Max. 

When in B120i mode, the temperature is available to iLO and therefore be used in the fan speed calculation and iLO can safely set the speed lower.

• Like 1

Thats what I thought, My original idea was to boot the ssd from the StarTech Card in AHCI mode, but leaving the four data drives in B120i raid mode hoping that this would avoid fan issues.

From what I can work out, when the onboard controller is in AHCI mode, iLO cannot intercept the SATA traffic to determine the hard drive temperature.

If you install the iLO AMS drivers then it will be able to query the drive temperature even in AHCI mode.

If you install the iLO AMS drivers then it will be able to query the drive temperature even in AHCI mode.

Makes sense why the fan seems to be better controlled recently.

Doesn't show the HD temp on iLO though when in AHCI mode, so perhaps its only used internally...

Doesn't show the HD temp on iLO though when in AHCI mode, so perhaps its only used internally...

Hmm. It should do. Somebody on the forum did it recently and it worked fine for them. Lets see if I can find the post again.

Makes sense why the fan seems to be better controlled recently.

It was a post by Shonk. He installed the iLO AMS drivers and iLO was able to monitor the drives. It may not be able to display the temperature though but it definitely makes iLO aware of what is plugged in even when in AHCI mode.
  • Like 1